Sunday 30 September 2012

Fast Saturdays, Slow Sundays


29th September

Getting closer to the taper.Ran 6 miles this morning. Hoping to do it at a snappy enough pace. Mile 1-7.41, Mile 2 – 7.17, Mile 3 -7.21, Mile 4-7.16, Mile 5 -7.08, Mile 6 -7.11. Accepting that the first mile was always going to be slow I was happy enough with the pace over the other 5 miles. Mile 3 dropped by a few seconds but had more to do with a parked car that I had to run around. By mile 6 I could have done another 2-3 miles but had run out of road. Long slow run to-morrow. Sometimes I am rearing and really forward to doing these long runs but not this time. Hopefully my 2 hour kip on the couch will restore my appetite for the road. Going up to Cork City on Saturday for shopping really takes it out of me. Hopefully I won’t be doing that for another while!!!! Anyway this will be my longest run of the training schedule. The objective is to simply stay on the feet for as long as possible. Nothing more than that really. Next Sunday week is the Cork-Cobh 15 mile race. Will be using it a MP run. At the mo’ re-reading Thomas Bubendorfers blog from 2006 when he cracked sub 3.30 in Dublin following Pfitzingers schedule. I of course binned the plan last June but the blog is interesting reading.I do like to re-read it foolish as it is to compare times...

6 miles , 43.55, Hr 159, 7.19 pace

 

30th September

The day of the LSR. Perhaps my least favourite workout of any marathon programme. I usually run as slow a pace as possible trying to stay on my feet as long as possible. I had hoped to do 23 miles but after doing the usual Mallow- Doneraile-Buttevant-Doneraile-Mallow route which comes to around 20.8 miles I did a extra 1.2 mile loop around Mallow town . At that stage I had run 22 miles in 3 hours 18 minutes but having to do another mile would have served little purpose given the slow pace I was doing. The left knee and groin was getting crankier too so it was wiser to stop. I was running at such a slow pace the rest of the Mallow group had long since gone home but conversation was beyond me anyway. For most of the run I sstayed down the back while  the group ran at various paces. The legs were not responding today so I adopted the right pacing strategy. This was my third 20 plus run in 5 weeks with another possible 20 miler coming up next week so slow was the way too go. My general mood was a bit tired, running 60 plus miles in a week was obviously taking it’s toll. As I say I didn’t particularly enjoy and was glad to get it over with. Maybe it was the rain that did for me. Anyway onward and upward. I have another 60 miles to do next week. The HR was 142 so happy with that and the weekly 62.5 miles. That's a record as is my monthly total of 234 miles.

On a different note glad to see a old friend of mine – Timmy O’Connor call into the house for a chat. He cycled all the way from Meelin to our house stayed for a couple of hours before cycling back again. Some man for the bike....

Monday 4 miles at 10minute pace, Tuesday 10 miles in 1hr28minutes, Wednesday 10.5 miles in 1hr25minutes, Thursday 10 miles with 5X2minute sprints in 1hr.17minutes, Friday rest, Saturday 6 miles at 7.19 pace, Sunday 22 miles at 9 minute pace. Total mileage 62.5 miles

2 comments:

  1. Re At the mo’ re-reading Thomas Bubendorfers blog from 2006 when he cracked sub 3.30 in Dublin following Pfitzingers schedule!!
    It took him nearly 7 years to finally break 3, stop reading his shit & believe in yourself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus that's a bit rough anonymous. His stuff is well worth reading. I've only met him once and that was only for a minute or two. Seems like a decent enough bloke and to be fair who wouldn't want to follow his work - it's interesting if nothing else. That said thanks for the imput.

    ReplyDelete