Thursday 6 September 2012

Hitting a milestone in training in year 39


3rd September

The Irish weather does it’s actual trick of giving us a mini summer in September. Certainly it made it difficult getting around the building in work (3/4flights of stairs) and up and down to the car (we have no parking space so I have to make do with parking a mile uphill from work.). Anyway when I did get out this evening jogged and walked 4 miles. Wanted to get the legs recovering after last weeks efforts.

4 miles at 9.46 pace. HR 130

4th September

Ran with the club. Legs were like rocks again but headed down anyway. A very large crowd of around 24 or so turned up. Did a 3 mile easy jog with the fit for life group. Then around 8 miles with the faster group. It involved a 3 mile warm up down by the river back and town park. Followed by 5 X4 minute effort at around 5 mile pace. First 2 minutes were at 6.08 pace. Way too much for me and I was feeling it. By the second session i had to slow down and forced to jog at a respectable 7.30 pace which meant i was last down the back. The 4th and 5th sessions was time to be sensible so I took it handy at around 7.35 pace. Then a another mile or so jog back to the car. Obviously the efforts of last week and walking a couple of miles every day in work are having a effect on me. Still though I did 10 miles in total for a time of 1.25.16.

10.16 miles at 8.23 pace. 1.25.16

5th September

Was running up in Mayfield after work. It was very very very warm so as it was a medium pace with a 4 mile descent and a 4 ascent common sense dictated I take it handy. The first 4 miles Mayfield/Banduff/Glenthorn/Spring lane/ Blackpool/Leitrem st were all done in around 8.17 pace. Mile 4 to mile 5 was a steep rise from the banks of the Lee up to Montenotte Hotel via Wellington rd and Middle Glanmire rd. At mile 5 the ace dropped and bang!!! the legs stopped working.From this point you have a great vista of Pairc Ui Choimh and Blackrock/ Cork harbour. Anyway walked a bit of a pace for 4 minutes or 0.2 of a mile. I wasn’t too upset about this but mindful nevertheless. At 45minutes and 5.2  miles off i went again. The remaining 2.8 miles from where I stopped up to Iona Green, down Old Youghal rd and up to Mayfield GAA pitch were all completed at sub 8 pace. Another tough Wednesday workout but remarkably faster than last week despite the walk. I’d be lying if I said the Blarney half marathon wasn’t praying on my mind. The chip and bib number arrived today – number 62.

8 miles in 1.07.33. Hr 142.

 

6th September

My 39th birthday today. Gave myself one of the best (running) presents ever. Finally cracked the 8 mile barrier that I have aiming for the last 2 years. Let me explain.... I wanted to run 8 miles in a hour in training. The closest I came was last week when I got 8 miles in at 1hour and 55 seconds. This time when I left the house at 7.00 am I felt very confident within the first 4 minutes. I knew the legs had recovered and I KNEW I was going to do it. Mile 1 consisted of 3 laps of the town park – 7.48. Mile 2 was achieved in 7.27. Mile 3 running up the Cork road was made in 7.19. Big downhill for mile 4 which was nailed in 7.13. I had reached the half way point in 29.49 with a uphill section in front of me. Conquered that  mile 5 in 7.06. Mile 6 I was smoking -6.59, cracking stuff. Mile 7 down the railway road reached in 7.13 and finally back up the same road in 7.13. I was chuffed when I looked at the stopwatch. 8 miles in 58.21 and a 8 mile tempo to boot.

To be fair the route was flat, straight with a few downhills but a few uphills as well. The concentration held up well as well. I could have ran another mile but decided to jog at a slow pace for the last mile. What it means for the Blarney half marathon though I have no idea. I feel uncertain as to how to approach it. Ideally a 1.37 would be great but maybe Charleville is the one for that. A 1.40 time, fresh legs and a nice finish wouldn’t be all bad on Sunday and a 1hr50min finish in the Cork/Cobh race would set me up well for the 20 day taper for Dublin. I’m sure when I check macmillian running calculator it will tell me i can do some crazy time for it.

 It was good to beat the heat as well by going this morning

After work we headed out for a bit of dinner that evening. Very nice too- the chocolate cake was even better!!!
 
 

8 miles in 58.21 seconds with a slow jog back of 1 mile. HR 152

1 comment: