Saturday 1 September 2012

Sure you'll walk this-Liscaroll 10Km


 Monday,27TH August,

4 mile recovery jog. Slow and not particularly remarkable which is the way it should be I guess.

My scheduled long run on Sunday is occupying the thoughts today. It will probably be a 20 miler but not having done a MP long run in a while perhaps now is the time? We will see

40 minutes, 136 HR

Tuesday,28th August

Normally on Tuesdays (holidays excepted) I head down to Mallow run with the club. I really enjoy as the sessions are fun and testing in particular the tempo sessions. Today though I wanted to test what pace could I do a medium training run on my own. I had never ever in training ran 8 miles in under a hour but I felt today was a good chance to do so.  I had run 8 miles in a hour in races and that distance in that particular time zone is a very good indicator as to how I am faring. For example in the Cork half marathon I ran around 8 miles in 58 minutes which set me up for a PB. In Clonmel it took me over a hour, which spelled doom. The route I picked was a awkward one with a number of pulls and little hills and back and forth sections. Mile 1 was uphill 8.25. Mile 2  8.00. Mile 3 7.44. Mile 4, 7.30, Mile 5, 7.20. Mile 6, 7.28. Mile 7 (strong headwinds) 7.23, Mile 8, 7.00. My final time was 1hr53seconds. I think it’s still my fastest training road run over 8 miles and I gave it a good shot. The positive aspect was that I didn’t feel particularly tired running it. Jogged the last mile 9 as a cooldown. Very happy. When I am training for the 10 mile series next year I would want to be hitting a even faster pace.

Mile 1 to Mile 8 – 60mins53seconds. Mile 9 -7.59

Heart rate 154.

Wednesday, 29th August.

Decided to go up to Mayfield, Cork City for this one. Might make this a regular habit on this day of the week in future. The hills are a great way to build up strength. Running up here always benefits me and for many years it was a regular occurrence. Decided to go at a slow medium pace for this one – 8.30 pace. Not having run here in a while I would be foolish to push it. Mile 1 -4 are largely downhill. Miles 4 to 6 are tough. A long pull from river level up to Iona Green with another 2 miles up and down to Boherboy Rd. The effort felt ok and I attempted to allow for the hills in the second part.

8 miles – 1hr04mins8 seconds- HR 145.

Thursday , 30 August

Up running by 7.30 am. From now until October is usually the best time for running in the mornings. It’s usually bright and crisp. Plan in future to use these mornings as tempo and LT sessions but not today as I am racing to-morrow in Liscarroll.  Ran 8 miles in my new favourite route –leaving my house going down the railway road and then down the Cork road, taking a left at Pikes Cross and another left up a backroad to home. Attempted to run at a conservative pace but after 2 miles just went with it pulling back in the last mile or so. A nice run. Still haven’t resolved how to tackle the Blarney half marathon next week. I could race it but i doubt if I am yet at the pace I ran during the Cork half marathon. I really would want  to be hitting 1.37 or faster if i want to claim a 3.30 in Dublin. I could also run it as a MP pace run with a 5 mile warm up beforehand to give it a genuine long run feel and save me the hassle of having to do it the week after. The upcoming Charleville half marathon in mid September and maybe the CorkCobh 15 miler will have to be raced though in order to give me a realistic idea of where I am. Ideally all marathon runners are looking for consistency in training and tune up races and so far I have delivered. That said the one glaring blot was my post holiday Clonmel half marathon. Decisions, decisions....

Friday 31st August

“Ah sure you’ll piss this one....” a runner was telling me as we lined up for the 10Km race in Liscarroll, north Cork. I wasn’t too sure as this was my first time ever running a 10k race and after being on the go for the day- driving to work in Cork city, putting down a full day with the students, meeting my Dad for our weekly Friday chat (he was lamenting the state of the Cork footballers – a regular topic) and then driving to Liscarroll the last thing I felt like was beating my arse over 10Km. Anyway off we went. I reckon there was probably under 150 runners for this one but a good turnout from the local North Cork and Mallow clubs. It was good saluting and chatting to various faces beforehand but once the race started it was game on. Paudie Birmingham shot off at a good pace and was up there mixing it with Dick Riordan and Maurice Buckley (both North Cork). Watching them battle it out ahead of me was actually quite entertaining. Dick dropped back obviously carrying a back complaint.

As for me I ran mile 1/2/3 in 6.36/6.42/6.34 so there was no doubting the course was certainly a fast one. By mile 3 I was finding it tough going and was engaged some in little personal duels with a number of racers but my mile 4 the effort was telling (6.49). Chatting to one female runner she said the course was a bit monotonous (lots of straight roads) and I knew she was a goner and so it proved as she dropped behind me. I got a nice surprise when I saw my 5 mile time (6.43 mile) was achieved in 33.25 which a massive 5 mile PB by 50 seconds.  The presence of cars was becoming a problem though and the stewarding was patchy enough.

I was feeling better at this stage was hoping to get close to 41 minutes. However the real experienced and stronger were coming to the fore for the last 1.2 miles. Dermot from Mallow and another guy with a peaked hat went past me as did a really strong muscular bald guy. Over my shoulder i glanced and saw Coleman also from Mallow gain ground. Mind you it wasn’t as if I was slowing down as hit mile 6 in 6.39. There was no doubt I was running one of my best ever races certainly one of my toughest. Just before the finish line Colman put in a outstanding sprint finish to slip past me. I finished the last 0.2 in 1.37 and the garmin recorded a time of 41.42. Obviously this being my first 10km race i recorded a PB but I was very happy with my effort – very happy indeed. I ran a average pace of 6.44 and while I did get caught at the finish (I can’t sprint) I did run a very good race.  Next time I will be going for a sub 41 but as a speed session it was a terrific workout.

Jogged back to the car popping into the local medieval castle on the way.  Might come back here again for a more relaxed stroll around the place.

Just one slightly sour point was the quality of time keeping as I crossed the line. It was a bit of a mess to say the least and I suspect my number may been completely missed as the guy taking the times was getting a bit swamped. It was up to another female steward to shout my number “60” over to him. Don’t know if he even heard it.

Anyway 20 miles to do on Sunday. Feck!!!

1 mile warm up/6.2 mile race in 41.42/1 mile-ish cooldown – 8.2 miles or so

1 comment:

  1. Great 10k PB Cathal - 6:44 is a fantastic pace and you kept it up for the whole race. 20 miles? not a bother.

    ReplyDelete