Saturday 22 September 2012

A sore foot and seasonal musings


Monday 17th September

4 miles in 38 minutes. Around 9.26 pace. HR 131. Felt a bit stiff before I started but better now. Will take it easy on the speedwork.

Tuesday 18th September

10.5 miles in 1.26.45. Ran at a medium pace. No club training for next few weeks so made up for it with morning medium long run. Happy enough with the way it went but I wonder if the PF is back these days. Right foot slightly uncomfortable after standing right on top a piece of lose brickwork on the side of the road. Really felt it and landed on the side of the ankle. Ouch!!! Got home no bother but felt the throbbing all day and night

Wednesday 19th

Right foot still feeling sore. Pain is under the foot on the right side of the arch. I assume the pain is only just bruising caused by my rock stepping incident. Did the whole R.I.C.E thing and took two v strong paracetamol. Hopefully will be a lot better Thursday morning. Fingers crossed it’s only bruising and not PF or even worse a stress fracture. Had to miss out on my proposed 11 mile run up in Mayfield. I had hoped to do 50 miles this week as a cutback week so it now looks like the cutback will be more pronounced. The rest isn’t a bad thing as next two weeks will see a increase to 60 miles plus. Well at least that’s the plan.....

Thursday 20th September

Went out running at 6.50 am with some amount of trepidation. But after the first uphill mile It was obvious  the foot was going to be ok. Did ten miles in total in 1hr18mins32seconds/7.51 pace. Ran the last 3 miles in around 7.37, 7.28, 7.23. Even though it’s a cutback week I was hoping to get 50 miles up on the legs but may to settle for less this week

Friday 21st September

A surprisingly tough day in work followed by a 100 minute commute home (yes a 100 minutes!!!) for the 4th day running had me finished when I came in the door. Not a chance of getting out the door for a run until the throbbing headache went away by which time it was time to do the weekly shopping. By 8.00pm it was time to forget about making up lost mileage and settle down to a bar of Wispa and a bag of Tayto’s and a episode of “Breaking Bad”. Roll on bedtime...

Saturday 22nd September

Went out for a run at around 9.15 am. Their was a definite chill in the air and while it was a nice sunny morning it is obvious Autumn/Winter temperatures are creeping in. September is usually the most beautiful month of the year to be running on country roads and today was no different. Lovely brown, golden leaves on the trees and on the  ground with the smell of cut grass everywhere. Anyway snapping out of my Wordsworth moment I found it hard for the first 2 miles to get into the run. The legs were defo a bit heavy so I made sure to keep it easy. All the time I was trying not to think about the local half marathon being held to-morrow but was finding it difficult. “What pace will I do?”, “At mile 10 what state will I be in?”, “What’s a good time?/What’s a bad time” etc etc. My fighting words of last week are becoming more cautious by the day.

6 miles at 8.15 pace. 49mins 30 seconds. Hr 144.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck tomorrow Cathal. Just relax and don't be ruled by the watch.

    ReplyDelete