Sunday 9 September 2012

Blarney half marathon report


Friday 7th September and Saturday 8th September

No running on these days. Real life stuff just got in the way on Friday and Saturday was a day spent up in Cork enjoying my birthday dinner in Blackrock castle followed by a barbeque with friends in Charleville.

Sunday 9th September

The Blarney half marathon was on today. Got down for around 10.15 and did a two mile warm up. I had no real strategy or time in mind – just a case of seeing how I get on and avoid a Clonmel like collapse. The rain at the start was followed by serious heat a half hour into the race with a cool breeze for the rest so it was a typical Autumn day in Ireland. Mile 1 was a lap around the village and the pace was fast – 7.07 and by mile 2 I had settled into 7.25 . Going over by waterloo the heat was coming out with a vengeance and miles 3 and mile 4 went along nicely in 7.21 and 7.31. I was feeling good at this stage and could see many runners up ahead who were suffering in the heat. The fast first mile also fooled many people. I was working out that I should be able to push for a 1.36 but I hadn’t reckoned on a long pull going from mile 5 to mile 7.5. It was hard work thats for sure, god knows how people coped with the Grenagh hill in previous years which was now thankfully removed. Mile 5 was reached in 7.21 and mile 6 in 7.23. I was hopeful to make up time in the turnaround. On the opposite side of the road I see the leading runners racing down the path I was struggling to get up. Noel Daly and Michael Clancy of mallow ac were well ahead of the 1.30 pacers followed by Ray, Dermot and Paudie at different stages. Going back down the opposite side of the run I was relived to avail of the downward slope and was hoping my legs could lock onto a 7.05-7.10 pace but at mile 7/8/9 my times were a bit flat 7.29,7.38,7.08. Mentally i was hitting some patches with the head doing it’s old trick telling me slow down or stop. The back was feeling a bit sore (note to self- go back to core work) and miles 10 and 11 were pretty horrible – 7.23 and 7.26. At mile 11 my time was 1.22 so it was obvious I wouldn’t get under 1.37 and I was glad just to get to the finish line. As a MP run it was working out very well as a race I was doing ok enough. Mile 12 was hit in 7.32 or so and I was losing valuable seconds with the climb just before the finish. A number of racers were flying past me and I crossed the line in 1.37.46.

I was philosophical enough when I reflected on my effort. It was my 3rd fastest half marathon and the third time this year I came under 1.38 so I am definitely getting better. I also made amends for Clonmel and I am in good racing shape. The course was tough and it will stand to me for Dublin. My next race is in two weeks time – the Charleville half marathon and I will be targeting that for a sub 1.35.  I think I have a good chance. In terms of the Dublin marathon I will be there or thereabouts. Them’s fighting words and make no mistake.......................

13.1 mile race - 1.37.46 with 2 mile warm up

Miles for the week 45 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment