Saturday 15 September 2012

Two crunchies and the hunger game


10th September

4 mile jog. Slight strain in the groin and a dodgy tummy. Hardly surprising given the nosh I ate over the weekend. Ran at 10 minute pace but really wanted the whole thing to be over as soon as i started.

No HR data. 4 miles in 40 minutes

11th September

The evening run with Mallow Ac. Things will be winding down for a few weeks. Anyway did 4 mile warm up followed by a rigorous series of drills and stretches. Followed by 3 X 6 minutes laps on the pitch. I ran at a 7.15 pace and the pace felt very manageable all the way through. Finished off with another 3 miles or so. The garmin read 10 miles at the finish at around 1.28.00

10 miles with 3 x6 minutes running

12th September

It’s Wednesday!!!! That means a medium run up in the northside of the city. The garmin was flat for this one so had to make do with the timer on my digital watch. I always find that unsatisfying – not knowing my splits and my actual mileage throws me into a sort of disarray. Anyway I always  find this tough and was going through the agonies running down the Commons road and onto the bottom of Pophams rd. . The course from Boherboy rd to Banduff to Spring lane and up the back of Blackpool shopping centre onto Commons rd is actually mostly downhill but after that you are climbing all the way.  At St Lukes I saluted Imelda Lyons, a former work colleague of mine and fellow marathoner as is her husband Dennis. Imelda cracked the sub 4 in Dublin last year while her husband has his eyes probably set on the sub 3 (different class)

After that I felt reasonably ok considering I must have gained around a 80 metre elevation going up Middle Glanmire rd and up to Boherboy rd. I made sure to keep the effort even but was done for by the time I reached my mum’s house. As usual my mum was there with the fresh tuna rolls and glasses of water (39 going on 12). It was good to see my baby niece too even if my conversation was as limited as hers (she’s 7 months). Hard going. Anyway I think at roughly 8.30 pace, maybe 8.25 I did around 10 miles. Next week will be aiming for the 11 miles.

Ran for 1hour.25minutes.25 seconds. I think around 10 miles

13th September

A late start in work meant I get this run completed in the morning leaving the rest of the day free. The sleep wasn’t great and I felt it when I left the house at 6.55 am. Moreover the backs of the legs were sore , a sure sign I was feeling the effects of the accumulated mileage.I picked a slower route than the faster route I ran on Thursday with the first mile uphill up Love Lane (8.23). After that I ran very smoothly  but no chance of hitting the 7.15 average I hit last week. That was fine by me. By mile 7 running down the railway road it was time to stop and proceed to do 5 X 2 minutes sprints. I ran these at 6.45 pace covering 0.3 of a mile. I wanted to see if I could manage a steady pace and each sprint was run at a similar pace -6.45 per mile pace. In total I covered 8.5 miles with mile 1 to 7 covering in 7.41 average and 1.5 mile of sprints covered in 6.45 pace. It’s a measure of how far I have come when I consider this workout to be average or solid. A couple of months ago i would have been chuffed. Overall happy enough.

Miles 1-7 -53.47 with 1.53 miles of sprints -10.14

 

Saturday 15th September

Didn’t run since that early effort on Thursday morning so my legs had got plenty of rest. That soreness I was experiencing on Thursday evening had gone and the usual manic Friday commute/work/commute/shopping was alleviated  by a good evening watching “The Hunger Games” on the box in the company of myself, Aoiffe and her 15 year old sister. The two crunchie bars went down well as did the long lie in bed. Rest is a massive component of training and the more good nights sleep I have the better i feel. Anyway ran 6 miles in 44mins19secs or 7.23 pace. The run went very very well. Mile 1-7.57, mile 2- 7.25, mile 3- 7.23, mile 4- 7.16, mile 5- 7.10 and mile 6- 7.01. HR was 154 Each mile just went quicker and quicker. Lovely stuff
6 miles in 44,19

No comments:

Post a Comment