Tuesday 2 October 2012

The most influential man in my life.....


1st October

Into October, only a week of training left. No going back now. It’s all about one more good week keeping it nice and steady and pushing my body into a more comfortable place. The 3 week taper is all about the mind, the body won’t be able to improve any further. Did 4 miles at 10 minute pace. HR was 129 which is a record low for this training cycle. A couple of people I have chatting to have noted or read the blog. One of the Mallow guys said since I have my goal out there I have no choice or alternative but to get under 3.30. I never thought of it that way to be honest. The blog is intended as a motivation tool and a ongoing progess report. It certainly wasn’t designed as a ego trip.  I guess my balls are on the chopping block now.... it has to be a sub 3.29.

 By the way congrats to fellow clubmate Ray Kelly on getting 3.28.01 in Berlin. Great going....

2nd October

Had to forego the club training session this evening. My domestic and work arrangements would have meant too busy a evening when I got in from work. That household stuff – making dinners, changing bins, emptying dishwashers, making lunches etc etc really eats into my time getting home after a 75 minute car journey. My wife is on a busy schedule at the moment so it’s down to me. Don’t know how I would manage marathon training with rearing young kids.

  I also realised the most influential man in my life is the guy who turns the stop/go sign in Rathduff. Catch him at the wrong time and he could add a extra half hour onto your day getting home. Anyway onto the workout.... left the house at 6.50 am. Decided to do a 10.5 mile run. While the heart rate was low the legs still felt heavy so had to take it easy for the first mile. That said I got a shock when it timed the first  mile at 9.32. I certainly felt faster. Thankfully the splits improved but I didn’t want to force it too much either. Was looking to have each mile faster than the previous which was how it turned out. The last few miles were around 7.57 and 7.55. I suppose I could call the workout a progression run but It wasn’t entirely planned that way, it was just the way it turned out. I certainly could have ran for another 4 miles.

On the way to work from Charleville to Cork City I counted at least 15 people out running. It’s definitely a sign of  a running boom and I suspect a sign of the recession. People have a lot of time to kill these days. I have nothing but admiration for the ordinary joggers out there. After all I’m one of them.

10.5 miles – 1.27.16-8.20 pace. Low heart rate 139.

No comments:

Post a Comment