Thursday 5 July 2012

Tis hot when you are being roasted in the Ovens


4th July

Feel like a bit of a clown writing this but here it goes. Ran my first 5K ever but man I was so bad. Embarrassingly so.  Mile 1 6.38 Mile 2 6.41 and Mile 3... 7.57. The 0.1 of the 3.1 took a minute. Normally I would expect to run 3.1 in around 6.45 average. Even the wife had thought I finished a couple of minutes earlier to what I did when I jogged past her. She said I looked so pale she was wondering if I took the wrong route and ran 20K instead ;-). Obviously something went badly wrong. Getting there late, not having a pacing plan, out of practice racing (it’s being 5 weeks), hilly course and maybe finding the 18/70 plan too tough? Those midweek runs are killing the love alright. Time to rethink.

1 mile warm up – 3.1 race 22.16



Anyway the picture says it all. I am the huffing guy with number 704 being outrun by the guys older than me ;-) There are worse pictures of me during the race including one of me with my tongue lolling out and my shorts up my rear but you won't be seeing that. (Picture was taken by Doug Minihane)




5 comments:

  1. Hey 5k races are a nightmare at the best of times. 22.16 is a very respectable time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it wasn't the time that bothered me too much (well it was...)rather the way the legs caved in at mile 2 and i limped home. i didn't expect that!!!!! Era I'm over it now and looking forward to the long run on Saturday.You were motoring yourself
      cathal

      Delete
  2. 5K at speed can be tough... partiocularly if you're in the middle of 'long' marathon training. It's a totally different game! Also the uphill finish in this race gets alot of people. Well done for getting out and think of it as a tough speed session rather than a race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Brendan. Running a localish race on Monday but treating it as a tempo session with 2.5 mile warm up, 4 mile run at 7.00-7.15 pace and 2.5 cooldown. It means I won't PB (and everyone I know in charleville will be flying past me) but i am looking at the bigger picture here.
      Hope training is going well

      Delete
  3. Well done Cathal. 5ks are all about embracing the pain, which comes on pretty much after the first few 100 yards. Toiugh but short. Even though that's the closest race to me I have never run in it (I have watched it twice).

    ReplyDelete