Thursday 12 July 2012

Dromcollogher4 race and Ballyhea run


 Monday 9th July

Dromcollogher 4 Race Report

Took me only 25 minutes to get there from my house. It makes a nice change from driving a hour in all directions to get to a race. Spotted a load of runners from Mallow, North Cork AC, Galtee and Riocht. Decided to get a 1 mile warm up under my legs. Would have liked to have done another ½ mile with strides but time didn’t allow for it and off we went... The course is essentially a triangle shaped course starting and finishing in the town. Decided to take it steady and use the race as a tempo effort. Anyway my racing legs are only coming back these days. First mile passed in around 6.40. Fast enough and I wondered if i could hold the pace at 6.45. Mile 2 went a bit slower in 6.57. The breathing was getting laboured and a runner i had in my sights pushed on. Had to remember this still a tempo training run so I decided to relax. Mile 3 was a definitely uphill with a bit of a pull in it and was clocked in a disappointing time in 7.06. I was definitely getting slower as the gap in front of me pulled over the hill. Mile 4 took me into the town and it was completed in 6.53. My garmin time was 27.36. I realised later this was a PB so that was good. In the context of a tempo workout it served me very well and certainly was more enjoyable than slogging it out on my own on the railway road. As a race it was ok-ish. A couple of runners I hoped to catch up with were well ahead of me and while the legs were better this time they still are slightly short of sharpness. Running with a club certainly helps alright............hmmmmm.

Ran 6.5 miles with, 1 warm up 4 miles race (6.55 average) and  1.5 mile cooldown

10th July

Was out running next morning at 8.00 am. Ran 8.7 miles at 7.53 pace. HR 152. A pleasing effort given I raced 12 hours previous. First mile (uphill ) was  8.26. The rest were 7.47, 8.00, 7.58, 7.53, 7.43, 7.44, 7.44 with the 0.7 mile coming in at 5.17.

Another snap of me.  Crossing the line in Dromcollogher.  Who I’m pointing at I have no idea !!!




11th July 2012

Busy day ahead of me. Still correcting those Leaving Certificate scripts – all 255 of them. Hopefully will be finished next week.  Had to get down to Kerry on a bit of business. Managed a 4 mile recovery jog. The only was that the HR was 141!!!! Normally it’s under 130. Obviously my body is still recovering after those those 2 strong sessions I did on Monday and Tuesday. Must take it easier to-morrow.

4 miles – 47 minutes – HR 141!!!!!

12th July

While the Kerry trip was in some ways a waste of time, it was good to spend a bit of time with Aoiffe having a chat and a a bit of lunch together away from the pressures of work. Anyway today didn’t feel too sure about running this morning. Staring at the pile of uncorrected leaving certificate scripts was enough to leave me thinking about postponing the run till later. However a quick look at a facebook entry about local runners running new routes was enough to get me out. Left the house and ran the mile down by the graveyard and proceeded towards the back of Campus. For the first time in my life at the crossroads I took a left instead of a right and did a 8 mile loop around the Ballyhea townland. Mucky narrow roads humpback bridges, abandoned cottages, small and large farms etc. Absolutely loved it. Did the whole 8 miles in 1.03.16. So much for taking it easy!!! The last 6 miles were all under sub 8/ 7.40 pace average with mile 7 and 8 coming in at 7.27 and 7.21.

8 miles- 1.03.14- 7.54 pace- Hr 156.

No comments:

Post a Comment