Saturday 21 July 2012

Donoughmore 7 race report


17th July

Session with Mallow AC. Got there a bit early so did 2 mile warm up around the town. We jogged another 2 miles to the training spot. 4 miles on the legs already and we hadn’t even started. 15 minute tempo run. My inexperience showed and I started off way too quick ahead of the group. First mile was in 6.24, before 4/5 runners with sense overtook me. Second mile was 6.40. Next half mile was in 3.01. I was wrecked. Next time i will know better and run with the pack. We then did 60 second sprints X 6 with 60 second recoveries. That was probably 1.2 miles with another 2 mile jog to the car. Shattered but happy. I am probably one of the slower , if not the slowest runner there but it was a great experience.

9 miles with 4 mile warm up, 15 minute tempo, 60 second sprints X 6, 2 mile cooldown

18th July – Rest day. A bit tired after the previous nights session. Will have to build up to those. 2 a week is plenty for the moment.

19th July – Correcting finished!!!! Decided to do a 7 mile recovery. Jog one mile at a slow pace 9.00 to 9.10. Walk the remaining portion until 10 minutes have elapsed. Jog another mile. Walk the remaining portion until 20 minutes have elapsed. Watch the heart rate drop. Was enjoying it so much, did 7 miles in around 1.07.40. Heart rate was 136. Went at a average pace of 9.38 per mile. It’s a strategy that might serve me well when or if I do my first ultra in 2013.

7 miles easy, 9.38 pace, 1.07.40, Heart rate 136



Saturday 21 July

A bit hungover as I write this. Wouldn’t mind but only had 3 cans of beer last night. Ran the Donoughmore 7 the previous night. Have done this race the last couple of years so this was my third year in a row. It’s a tough course -2 miles up, 3 miles down and a 2 mile pull to the finish that really takes it out of you. In fact the last 800 metres are even steeper again. In 2010 and 2012 I ran this in times the region of 51.15 – 51.20, (you have to understand I am feeling shook today). I wanted to get under 50 minutes this year. Decided to run the first 2 miles down the back nice and steady  and I did this in 7.30 and 7.00. The first mile was 15 seconds that what I hoped for but I knew it would be crazy to push it. At the end of mile 2 we turned to our left and ran downhill for the next 3 miles. From here until the finish only one runner overtook me. The rest of the runners were paying the price for going too quick in the first two and I ran the next 3 at a comfortable relaxed stride 6.33, 6.31 and 6.58. The last of the miles was a bit slow and I was a bit disappointed not to maintain the 6.30 range. It was also a indicator of what  I was about to face in mile 6 and mile 7. Normally I labour badly here but I was feeling very calm and steady. I must have overtook another 10 runners and facing in the dreaded last 800 metres I was able to get under at 49.51. The timing clock had me down at 49.30 –ish so that time was off.Mile 5 and Mile 7 in 7.24 and 7.22. I was very happy and it was great running in a lovely sunny evening. Chatted to loads of people I knew and then myself and Aoiffe spent the evening in Don and Annette Golden’s house where as usual the hospitality was second to none. No doubt about it I am in very good shape these days though I doubt if I will be setting many more PB’s between now and the Dublin marathon. Main thing is to stay injury free and get through the programme maintaining my present form.

1 comment: