Sunday 15 July 2012

Running with Mallow AC


13th July 2012

Friday. Will be trying something different on Sunday so long run  postponed until Sunday. Did 5 miles recovery in around 9.32 pace. Hr was 136, still a bit high.

15th July

Sunday at 9am. Ran with Mallow AC. Decided this would be a good idea as I wanted to freshen up the long runs by running in company and a new route. A group of us probably 9 or 10 meet up at the Roundabout Inn and headed up the Cork road turning off at Dromahane. The group were going to run 11 miles. After that we ran along some fantastic country roads. You could have counted the number of cars we saw on one hand but the scenery was great. The first 6 miles were somewhat steep but as we going at a steady pace it didn’t trouble too much. First 6 miles I clocked at 51.32. It was nice chatting to the different club runners all of whom have run some excellent marathon times ranging from sub 3’s to 3.33 debuts. Certainly a lot better than me. That said I tried to stay up the front not out of cockiness or anything but because I wanted to nail the last 7 miles at sub 8 pace. I was aided by the downhill descent from mile 7 to 11 and it was becoming great fun. Mile 7  was done in 7.46. Mile 8 was done in 7.53. Mile 9 was 7.13. Mile 10 was 6.57. We were heading back into the town at this stage and I hit mile 11 in 7.04. At this stage I knew I had to do another 2 miles but it would be a solo effort and was going to be tough mentally. I did mile 12 in 7.22 and completed the 13th mile in 7.48. I was tired but happy with the workout and the members of the club couldn’t have been more gracious or helpful. So much so I will be heading to their training session on Tuesday. I think it can only benefit me.... In regard to my marathon ambitions it was a excellent workout. I will attempt a 16 miler in a few weeks with a 10 mile MP finish.

13 miles in 1.43.41. Last 7 miles were completed in 52.11 (7.25 pace-ish)

Total mileage for week 45 miles

1 comment:

  1. Nice to run with others... Never know what you might learn and it makes the long miles go all the quicker! Nice 13

    ReplyDelete