Wednesday 9 August 2017

midweek post

Week ended 9th August

The running has ground to a halt a bit this weekend. The reason was because of a headcold  picked up on Friday. The week started off pretty well, 2.5 jog on Monday to clear up a niggly hip and a 8 miles with a 6 mile tempo portion at 7.05 pace. Off the top of my head I think the splits were 7.09, 7.08, 7.07 , 7.06, 7.01, 6.58 or so. I was pretty happy with the run and had plenty more in the tank. It was when I double checked old tempo runs I realised it was the same pace as when I ran good tempos in the marathon training summers of 2012, 2014 and 2015 so essentially I’m get any faster at all !!!
Wednesday I ran 10 miles at a good pace of 7.40. I hadn’t planned to run that pace at all, it just sort of happened. I should have doubled back for another couple of miles but time was against me as I had a few jobs to do at home. My mistake however was not stretching or foam rolling afterwards as the legs were like lead on Thursday up in Cork. After 10k I had enough and called it quits.I was a bit annoyed with myself over it.

Friday I met up with Don, Derm and Tim with me being the designated driver. It suited me to the ground fitting in another run in Mayfield this time a better 7.5 miles at solid 8 minute pace. The headcold started to make it’s presence felt in the afternoon, so stuffed nose and stuffed head made for a no show on Sunday. I had planned a marathon pace run of around 14 miles so that was put aside for the moment. Monday things improved with another solid 8 mile run in Charleville (7.53 pace), a leg sapping interval session on Tuesday (9 mls with 8 x 800 between 3.18 to 3.20 pace) and a deliberately slow 11 miles Ballyhea run on Wednesday.


Plenty more running left in the week. 3.5 weeks training before the taper. I hardly feel as I if I have got going.

No comments:

Post a Comment