Saturday 29 July 2017

Teething babies and avoiding trouble. (I even ran 20 miles)

Week ending 30th July

My first 20 mile run yesterday since the Frankfurt marathon in 2015. I had to do this one solo. My humour going out the door wasn't up for it but then I copped myself on and realized this was my choice no one else's (no point in being like a little girl about it). All I had to do was run for 2hrs 50mins and/or get 20 miles up on the legs. No other brain power needed. Stopped for water after 1 and 2 hour and for a stretch at mile 16. Not perfect but job done. (Dog boring route though;-) )

The running week in general was ok enough but I had to bail out of doing the Churchtown South 5 mile race on Thursday. The little angel was suffering with her teeth all day and it wouldn’t have been fair to have the babysitter to deal with gummsy by herself for more than a hour while I hightailed it to east Cork. Aoiffe was burning the midnight oil at a work thing so I stayed at home and squeezed in a 8mile to 9 mile run in with 8 X 3 mins. I wasn’t too sure of the actual distance I covered as the garmin wasn’t charged. When I did get  back sure enough Iseult was in the throes of a tooth induced moment. In fairness the babysitter had managed for the hour or so she had with her but I knew she was glad I arrived, so quick she legged it out the door. 

It’s at times like this a good relaxing baby stroke and a there- there ain’t going to do the trick so it was time for the Calpol. It did help Iseult relax a bit but there was further issues later during the night. A tough night for all concerned but she is ok now.

From a running point of view it means I haven’t done a shorter 5miles to 10miles race since the end of May. I know at best my short racing pace is about 7mins to 7.05mins but it would be nice to get out there and shake the cobwebs off. If I trained for the distance I would be confident of getting close to sub 33 minutes.

Monday was the usual 3 mile walk / jog/ walk with Iseult in the pram around the town park. Tuesday a 8.5 mile run up in Mayfield at 8.06 pace, again very laboured and a slog 10 mile effort on the Wednesday afternoon in Charleville.


50 miles up on the feet but all a bit dull really. I have no chance if ever of making the Mallow AC sessions on Tuesday and Thursday. My last session there was at the end of the May. The start time has changed to a earlier time and no hope of Aoiffe getting home earlier to relive me. When school starts up again at the end of August and Iseult goes to the creche that will be another adjustment to get used to too.. I was a poor attendee at training anyway and the new time has lead to increased numbers showing up. Mallow are a big club but training attendance was poor lately. 

The club are lucky to have excellent people there who put in a tremendous amount of time and effort into keeping things going but it was beginning to fall on the same shoulders time and time again. I have little interest in the moment in even considering joining a new club. My local club is North Cork and it would make more sense to probably train there but I will put off any ideas in that regard off for a while yet. Like changing your job it just seems more trouble than it is worth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment