Monday 10 July 2017

Cahir half marathon

Week ending 9th July
I have just watched the Cork hurlers pull off the most unlikely Munster Championship win in many a long year. The campaign will only get tougher from here on in now. Similarly with 11 weeks to the Berlin marathon I find myself with a lot of work to do if I want to get a PB. I know fully well I’m probably not actually improving a whole lot these days and haven’t really being improving a whole yet in the 4 years. At best I am running races looking for different motivations each time.

Today the Cahir half marathon was one of those situations. I was looking for a solid marathon pace type effort or a extended slower paced tempo run. This was in light of a poor half marathon in Waterford.I was running very well within myself for the first 11 miles all at 7.30 pace but started to struggle badly after that having to slow down to a walk on a number of occasions. Whether it was the heat (it was very warm), the elevation or just poor form on my part or a combination of all 3 I don’t know. Maybe my “marathon pace” is in reality my true half marathon pace but only 5 weeks ago I was well able to push a better time in Cork. Thankfully the niggly ankle seems to be better.
I think the down turn is probably down to me not getting a few basics sorted – sleep, diet, consistency, speedwork. 

Some are probably easier to fix that others but they have all become issues in the last 5 weeks. Not getting enough sleep will have a big impact on all the others and I am trying to remedy that within the limits of being a S.A.H.D (Stay at home Dad). In the old days being a teacher and being off for the summer meant sleep was never a issue. Diet is also within my own compass, I am consuming way too many sweets and sugars. I was working out I must be eating 2-3 chocolate bars a week plus 2- 3 cakes and one packet of biscuits a week not to mention 3 bags of crisps and 3 ice creams. I don’t smoke and I don’t drink but the sweets thing has to change.

 Consistency is a bit harder, trying to get out for a run at the same time 5 days a week is more dependent on people being able to juggle their own incredibly busy  lifestyle as well around me and that isn’t fair on Aoiffe.

I had hoped to be able to make Mallow speed sessions at least once a week but that has proved impossible and given the new start times of training that will make things worse. I can still make the Sunday long runs but everything else during the week will be a solo affair. That’s why more than anything I never have really made much progress in the last 3 years in terms of times, the inability to make club sessions. My attendance from April to May was reasonably good and was reflected in a number of promising runs.

All is not lost, not by a long shot – I have the power to turn it around.


Tuesday – 8.5 miles at 7.34 pace, Wednesday – 3 mile pram jog/walk, Thursday 8.5 miles in Cork at 7.50 pace, Saturday 5 miles at 8.16 pace, Sunday Cahir half marathon plus 1 mile warmup at 7.34 and 8.16 pace each. 39 miles or so

No comments:

Post a Comment