Monday 3 July 2017

Just a niggle

Week beginning 3rd July

Nursing a slight strain on the left ankle (the one I fell and twisted last year). A bit of ice and rest should sort it out but it means I have had to rule out a 4 mile race in Dromcollogher tonight. In the light of a disappointing Waterford half marathon the emphasis was on getting miles up on the legs. I succeeded well enough on that score, logging 3 easy miles on Monday, 8.5 miles at 8.10 pace on Tuesday, 8 miles at 7.34 pace on Wednesday, 8.5 miles at 8.06 pace on Thursday, 6.5 miles at 7.32 pace on Saturday and a very satisfying 18 miles with the club in Mallow at 8.39 pace on Sunday.

It’s unlikely I will get anywhere like that mileage up on the legs this week but that’s ok with me. I’m happy just to be getting out of the door as it is unlikely I will be getting to too many short races or speed club sessions over the summer. (I have two races in mind this month but one of those may be not be the most sensible idea- more about that some other time) The missus is in a new role in her company and is working long hours and with me doing the S.A.H.D.T with the small one I will have to do the best I can. I knew months ago this would be the case.

Coming into July the plan is to improve on the long runs (upping the distance and pace) and get a good handle on the tempo runs (improve the intensity) with hopefully a couple of decent marathon pace efforts. The rest will be easy mileage with rest days where I see fit.

Hopefully by August I can start getting a good indication of where I stand in terms of Berlin.

At the mo’ I will keep applying the ice to the ankle, just a niggle.


No comments:

Post a Comment