Monday 26 June 2017

Heavy legs

Week beginning 26th June,

A good running week diminished somewhat by a poor half marathon in Waterford on Saturday. I ran 8 mls on Tuesday at 5 am with a 5 mile tempo insert. The pace was down on previous efforts but still a good effort when you consider the heat that morning (18 degrees) and a few baby led trips into Mallow- 7.10 pace with splits coming in at 7.15, 7.13, 7.13,7.09 and 7.00. I was happy enough with the effort but I was feeling somewhat crappy the rest of the day and I didn’t sleep a wink that night getting up at 5am next day to get the run out of the way.. I jogged 7 miles in a hour but the legs were heavy enough. I had a busy day with Iseult that day and headed to Cork city that night with Aoiffe to see Elbow play in the Marquee. A excellent gig but I was standing for 2 hours that night before I was up again at 6 am in order to get organised to bring Iseult up to Cork City  to see Nana. I ran 8 miles at a good solid pace (8 mins) up in the city but curiously enough I struggled at the hill by the Montenotte hotel before motoring on. Then it was home again that evening before another early start on Friday morning before driving down to Waterford on Friday night.

Writing this now it was obvious I was shattered from lack of rest and decent sleep. Even heading down Friday night to the hotel I knew if I didn’t take it handy I would suffer on the Saturday. I wasn’t sleeping a lot that week having had appointments of one kind or another every day. I was - simply put – shagged.

I planned to run rather than race the Waterford half marathon. I was thinking to come in around 1.40-1.42 pace but there was little enthusiasm in my legs or head for it. I capitulated by mile 7 walking up the Mount Cosgrave hill and then walked / ran at various points around the course. I was miserable for most of it and eventually was glad to come in at 1.47.17. To be honest I was glad to get back home and stay off the roads for a few days. Sunday morning my resting heart rate was 55 beats , always a bad sign as it is normally 50 beats or under. Cue further rest days. 3 weeks ago I was able to run a half marathon in under 1.36 on a tougher course.

We will take it handy for a while.

A frustrating end to what has been a frustrating few weeks. The quality of training has been mixed.


Week ending 25th June, 40 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment