Monday 5 June 2017

Cork city half marathon 2017

Week ending 4th June
Well actually it’s the bank holiday Monday and I jogged 4 easy miles this morning but the big run of the week was on Sunday – the Cork city half marathon. The week leading up to was ok recovery run on Monday (4 miles) , tough hill session in Doneraile with Eamonn and Helena ( 8miles), too busy with correcting to do anything on Wednesday or Thursday and 9 miles at a laboured pace (7.57) on Friday. Jogged a few easy miles Saturday and then down to Cork city on Sunday.
I was hopeful of getting at least a course PB (under1.36.05 in 2012) and I felt confident of getting a PB (under 1.34.15 limerick 2013) but as is the way these days I had to make do with a course PB coming in at 1.35.43. This was my first half marathon in over 12 months and I suppose if nothing else it serves as a starting off point (my wife’s words) for the next few months. Either way it’s definitely a improvement on last years DNF effort.

Looking at the splits I was cooked myself in the first few miles. Mile one was my fastest mile of the lot (6.51) which probably was a bit thick but by mile 8 I was running at a good solid 7.10 pace. My splits were up and down 7.07 – 7.17 -7.27 -7.10 but that was probably due to the nature of the course. Flat as far as mile 4 and then a series of ups and downs until a hell of a climb from mile 8 to 9 and a gradual drop down to mile 10 before a flat 3 miles towards the finish. The course was tough in parts (Tory Top road and Farranlea park) but it is a exciting race what with the marathon runners, relay runners and the good sprinkling of locals out along the course.  I never felt wrecked or tired at any stage along the race but the legs just weren’t able to push any harder than I hoped. That was probably the disappointing aspect of my run where I thought I was doing well at mile 11 and mile 12 the splits would say other otherwise – 7.27 and 7.28.  The finish up North Main Street was a excellent idea and as always the finishing straight up Pana was a great buzz. My good friend Aidan McGee had a very good marathon coming in comfortably at 3.29.11, he didn’t look in the least bit troubled post race as we chatted over a bit of food in Perry Street Café. I would have been panned out - he probably didn't run hard enough ;-)

I headed home afterwards a bit tired out and having to drink plenty of water for the rest of the evening - I was a bit dehydrated. As I say a solid effort but not exactly progressive either. It is what it is and let’s be honest in light of what happened in London and Manchester and Kabul it ain’t worth a breath….

Miles for the week
Monday 4 miles, Tuesday 8 miles, Friday 9 miles, Saturday 2 miles, Sunday 13 miles.

36 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment