Monday 21 August 2017

Clonmel redemption

Week beginning 21st August
Last Thursday was a 9 mile run up in hilly Mayfield.Tried to keep the pace steady enough coming at around 8.03 pace. Saturday was a easy 4 miler the night after having a 4 course meal out with Aoiffe.

Sunday I ran the Clonmel half marathon. I have run this race twice before usually as a means to kick start my legs into action following a 2 week holiday. It was always a struggle so it was interesting as to how I would get on with a good block of training under my belt. It’s a course that I never liked but this time (urged by the pacing efforts of Pa Daly) I surprised myself with a PB – coming in at 1.33.27. That's 7.08 pace with the first 2 miles clocking in at 7.30 pace so it was obvious I picked it up from mile 3 onwards. My last 13.1 PB was in Limerick in 2013 (1.34.16). Ok it’s not exactly massive improvement but I’ll take it. I wouldn’t have even tried it without Pa’s encouragement and I did deliberately slow down coming to the hill at mile 10 which in hindsight was uncalled for. In fact from mile 7 onwards I felt strong enough to push on ahead of Pa but not confident enough at the same time. It doesn’t matter though I’m chuffed.



Today though was a rest day. Back to the grindstone tomorrow. Ideally get some running (and maybe some racing) in on Tues, Wednesday, Thursday,  wedding Friday, rest Saturday, long run Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment