Friday 3 August 2012

Why would you run? Sure you be quicker walking...


.........as a auld fella says to me during the week. Maybe he had a point ;-)

30th July

Did 9 miles. First miles were at recovery pace. Picked it up for last 5 miles.

9 miles. 1.21.25. Hr 138



31st July

Club session at 6.30 pm. Jogged 2 miles with fit for life group. Ran 2 miles to industrial estate. Did 20 minute tempo (2.9x miles) and 6 x 45 second sprints with equal recoveries (1 mile). Did a number of drills and jogged 2 miles back to car. Around 10 miles

10 miles – 1.25.30.



1st August

4 mile recovery.Lashed on for the whole duration. Legs a bit heavy after last nights session but otherwise ok.

Total mileage 4, Time 36.44, Hr 136.

2nd August

No sign of that sore throat and stuffed nose going away. Was out running by 7 am. It was defo chilly and I wore the rainproof-taking no sessions after yesterdays soaking. Of course I didn’t need it. Jogged up the passage outside our house and stretched for a few minutes. Didn’t have time for a proper 2 mile warm up and had to make do. Had to do 5 mile tempo and conclude with a warm down. Haven’t done this on my own in a long time. I’ve either ran these as races or with a training group. Mile 1- 7.04. Mile 2- 7.15. Mile 3- 7.19. Mile 4 -7.24. The times were getting worse and worse. Normally i would expect them to stay steady or the last mile to finish strongly. Decided to stop and do a 3 minute recovery walk. Completed mile 5 in 7.14. Jogged last mile home in easy pace around 8.54. Ideally the workout should have been 2 mile warm up – 5 mile tempo at steady 7.10-7.15 pace with 2 mile cooldown. I don’t think I am any less fit than a few weeks ago but the cold, the solo nature of the workout and possibly overloaded with speed workouts all played a part. No harm.

6.3 miles with 4 mile tempo, 3 minute recovery, 1 mile tempo and 1.3 mile cooldown

HR for tempo 160.

3rd August

Olympics looks very exciting over the weekend with the start of the track and field. I on the other hand went out running this morning with a headful of snot up my nose and carrying a nice hefty extra stone of weight on my hips. Anyway each to their own.... ;-) had in my head to do 9 miles at a solid 8.15 -8.30 pace. Huffed and puffed my way around the route 4.5 miles out and 4.5 miles back. Was hitting some strong headwinds coming out of the railway rd and onto the Cork road but once I hit Cooleens i was well sheltered. Was feeling solid rather than fast and tacked another mile by doing a couple of laps around the town park. When I came back home I was feeling rather puffed but heart rate dropped from 148 to 105 in around 70 seconds or so. Job done.

10 miles – 1hr 23 mins 17 seconds – 150 HRM (8.20 pace)

P.s All the best to the irish athletes in the Olympics at the moment in particular the athlethes from Cork. If it wasn't for ye there wouldn't be a hope of us getting a medal ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment