Friday 24 August 2012

Slow Monday but a nice Ballycotton 5 run


Monday 20th August

10 weeks to the Dublin Marathon. It really means 7 weeks of training left and 3 weeks of a taper. I will have a fairer idea of what I am capable of at this stage having done 2 more half marathons, a 10K race and a number of 20 plus mile runs. I had planned to do the Cork Cobh 15 mile race but it falls on the very same day as my last planned long run (22-23 miles) so I will see about that closer the time. Maybe I could push the 23 mile run out to the middle of the week after that ? Last year for Dublin the benefits of training really kicked in around September so here’s hoping.....

Anyway I am writing this as the half marathon yesterday really was a suck in, not the time but the poor effort over the last 3 miles. Was supposed to go out for a planned 9 mile run today but the legs wouldn’t move. Managed 4 miles before walking the next mile and jogging home for the last mile. That was 6 miles in total at around 10 minute pace. It serves as a recovery jog if nothing else. My good wife spoke sense when she said it was a bit dumb expecting to do 9 miles the day after. Hard not to feel overwhelmed at the moment so will be keeping it steady all the way until a planned tempo run on Thursday.

6 miles – 60 minutes

Tuesday 21st August

Did my evening session with Mallow ac. It was a tough one as always but I was happy with my form. Buying new trainers in Buckleys Sport made a difference. The other ones had worn quite badly along the outside heel and the cushioning was well and truly hammered. Anyway did the usual 2 mile run to the industrial estate followed by 20 minute tempo run. I covered 3.05 miles which is probably a record for me. Then 3 minute recovery followed by 8 X60 second sprints. I was nackered by 5th sprint and coasted through the last 3. It amazes me to see some of the guys stroll through these sprints at some speed and never seem to be even under the slightest stress. Some going.... Another 2 mile jog back to the car. I had no garmin but one of the group reckoned 8 miles which will do me fine.

8 miles – 2 mile warm up, 3 mile tempo run, 1.1 mile sprints, 2 mile cooldown

Wednesday 22nd August

Decided to wait until the afternoon to head out. I wanted the legs to recover from yesterday. Just as well really as when i did venture out before the legs had that heavy feeling again. Of course I had no garmin but I reckon first mile was 8.16, mile 2 was under 8 minutes, mile 3 slightly over and last 1.4 miles just under 8 minute pace. Was feeling a lot better over  the last two miles. Met my wife outside the house and we did a 2 mile jog together. The pace was slow for me but it was a good workout for Aoiffe. A good medium workout. In future i hope to do my Wednesday jogs in future in Mayfield taking advantage of the hills.

5.4 miles under 44 minutes, 2 miles in 23 minutes.

Thursday 24th August –Ballycotton 5 mile race

Hadn’t planned to do this but I was happy with how the 20 minute tempo run went in training on Tuesday so decided to give it a shot. I had planned to do a 4 mile tempo run with 2 warmup and 1 cooldown on this day so doing a race instead fulfilled the same purpose. Got a lift down off one of the lads in Mallow (Colman) and we got there around 6.55 pm. It was a long journey and by the time I got my number, chatted to my cousin Don Ryan I only managed a ½ mile warm up with no stretches. There was as usual , for the Ballycotton series, a big crowd for this one with a number of Mallow runners vying for a coveted top 50 men’s and top 20 women’s finish. I had planned to give a sub 34 a shot which meant running at 6.45 pace. Mile 1 I took handy. Having no garmin meant I had no choice. That passed in 6.53 which meant I had to hit the next 4 miles in 6.43 pace. Mile 2 passed (i think) in 6.49 which meant that the sub 34 would have to wait for a while yet. Went past a few runners I knew so I figured I was running well. My best form was saved for the hill from 2.5 miles to mile 3. I got a unexpected surge of energy and took out a large number of runners. I probably made a mistake in holding back slightly from mile 3 to mile 4. I felt strong but was fearful of the last mile into Ballycotton. One older guy in a luminous yellow shirt stopped and tied his lace but caught up with me before mile 4. Over my shoulder I counted 3 good club runners behind me and in front of me a lady who was always just ahead of me in 4/5 mile races I have done over the summer. I gave the guy in the yellow the slip and pushed on for the last ½ mile from the church. For the first time in ages I accelerated and finished strongly just ahead of a very good runner from Donoughamore. I crossed the line in a watch time of 34.11 which was a PB for me and only a few footsteps away from my new 5 mile target. It was a tough and testing course and as usual was excellently organised. Aidan and Sharon did brilliantly to finish in the top 50 mens and top 20 womens section. In the latters case I think Sharon set a PB and wasn’t far off winning the women’s section outright. They are flying at the moment. I was very happy with my race and as a speed workout was ideal. Did a half mile cooldown. Next year will consider doing the full 4 races and will be aiming to get sub 34 that’s for sure. The most important workout of the week is at the weekend though.....

6 miles with 5 miles at 34.11 with ½ mile warmup and ½ mile coodown

No comments:

Post a Comment