Saturday 18 August 2012

The Golden Triangle-beer, ice cream, running


Monday 6th August to Sunday 12th August

On my holidays in Basque France and Basque Spain. It was very warm and coupled with a good holidaying time (beer, food and ice cream) I tried to fit in as much running as possible. I had notions of around 32 miles, calling the week as a cutback week. Tuesday did 7 slow miles. Wednesday 4 recovery miles – all run in Toulouse. Friday 10 miles and Saturday around 8.5 miles –all run in Bayonne. Sunday – run 3 or so miles on the beach in San Sebastian, giving me a total of 32 miles for the week. My distances were all approximately measured and I erred on the conservative in this regard. This was because the Garmin I packed got lost somewhere in transit. Gutted to put it mildly. The cost of replacement I don’t even want to think about.....

Total miles 32 miles






Monday 13th August to 18th August

Took a rest day on Monday. Tuesday ran for a hour along the seafront past the Guggenheim in Bilbao. Managed to find myself in some dodgy looking parts of the docklands after 33 minutes so I did the sensible thing and doubled back. Repeated the run on Wednesday and Thursday taking the more scenic route. It was great running in the heat but I had to be careful managing my pace in the heat. Really miss that garmin.

Friday morning. Was back in Charleville for this one. Was surprised at the amount of pep in my step. Ran for 70 minutes. Reckon I covered 8.7 or 8.8 miles.

Saturday. Ran 7 miles at a slow recovery pace. Around 70 minutes or so. Supposed to be running a 13.1 mile race in Clonmel to-morrow. There isn’t a hope of me racing and getting a PB that’s for sure as I haven’t raced a long distance since the Cork half marathon. I had targeted the race as an attempt to run a long distance at Marathon pace and was thinking a time in the range of 1.40 to 1.44 would be respectable. Now I’m not too sure. I have targeted 2 other half marathons in September and I should be well up to racing speed by then. The time between now and the 7th of October will be crucial in particular how I manage long runs, marathon pace long runs and midweek tempo runs

No comments:

Post a Comment