Thursday 6 April 2023

Easter catch up - Mallow 10 done and 2 x 7 days running

 Anyway being the lucky guy I am I am currently off for 2 weeks holidays.  I always enjoy the Easter Break but it is funny how the same habits reassert themselves. 

For example

1) I am going to do loads of DIY  around the house but in reality I never get past a bit of grass cutting, a bit of garage or house clearance and a small bit of painting. To be honest i hate DIY, not my thing. Most blokes are probably the same.

2) I am going to catch up on lots of school work - to stand me in good stead for the rest of the school year. The reality is is that I can't even look at a school book. At best I might do a small bit of correcting.

3) Do lots of running. Get up to 30 miles a week and do a race or a bit of speedwork. Generally that works out well. The core work never really takes off.

The Running

I had a 3 week break  much from running. Chest infection and cough. It affected my plans to train for a 1hr15min run in the Mallow 10 but I was beginning to feel a lot better in the week leading up to it. Without even realizing it I went on a running streak of running straight through from Friday 17th to Thursday 23rd. That's 7 days. The  total mileage wasn't massive , probably no more than 30 miles and it wasn't by design either but it gave me a bit of confidence going into the Mallow 10 on March 26th. The key workout was on the Wednesday before the race running 5 miles at a sub 8 min pace. I had plenty in the tank after it so I was pretty sure the chest infection was not going to hamper me much. While a 75 mins might be asking a bit much I was sure I could get under 78 minutes. A low bar these days but it was where I was at but I was happy.

The race event went very well. I enjoyed myself . I chatted and saluted loads of Mallow Ac members and caught up on the racing gossip. The race itself was good to a point. I ran with the sub 80 minute pacers and pulled away from them at mile 2. I hit the half way in 38.25 and I knew I was a sure bet to get a77 minute time but I was hoping for a bit under that. The splits  from mile 3 to 7  were in the 7.33 range but the pull at mile 7 slowed me down a lot. I was beginning to lose time, running mile 8 in 7.42. By mile 9 I was running on fumes and dropped back a few places. I had nothing left in the tank and was hanging on a bit over the finish line coming in at 1.17.06.

It was a good 80 second improvement on Dungarvan and not bad considering my 3 week layoff. I was shattered coming over the line. The legs were well and truly emptied as evidenced by some heavy coughing and wheezing.  10 years ago I ran the same race in 1.09.55 and wasn't as tired back then. I gave it my all and no complaints but still slightly disappointed on not getting a faster time. HR on the Garmin was maxed out 169. This was about right as I felt momentarily ill at mile 8.5. I was a bit worried for a minute but it passed.

For the rest of the week I did very little. No running until Wednesday with a easy 5 mile. Friday another easy 5 miler, Saturday 5 miles on the treadmill with 11 miles on Sunday at 8.45 pace. On Monday 3rd April (holidays) 3 miles recovery, Tuesday 6 miles with 4 x 1 miles (a good session - 7.20 , 7.11, 7.10, 7.09), Wednesday 6 miles easy, Thursday 6.5 miles easy but with some local hills around town. Friday a 3 mile walk run keeping the Hr under 130.  This time a 8 day streak


No comments:

Post a Comment