Sunday 23 April 2023

the space in your head , the head in your space

 I ran the 10 miler in Patrickswell. I had figured it would be very hilly and so it proved. I hung in with the 80 minute pacers until mile 5 and was left behind after that. Hills, hills and more hills. I haven't done any hill work of any worth this year and so it worked against me for the latter 5 miles. I had a few walking spells there at times but I wasn't upset and finished reasonably strongly at mile 9 and mile 10 to get in under 85 minutes. I was all in all happy enough. It is a tough course and it was a warm day so delighted to have got it done. As a race I liked it and will probably come back next year.  It isn't a PB course and is very different to Mallow or Dungarvan but that's no bad thing either. It was very well organised and well run. Anyway it meant 36 miles for the week. Not too shabby with a nice speed session on the Tuesday and a few easier paced runs the rest of the week.

I took Monday off running, back in work after a two week break so that kept me busy. I was also busy with helping Mum and Dad out with a few things out and getting ready for my first coaching session with the under 8 camoige group. I don't think Iseult was too keen on me being there!!!!

Tuesday I fitted in a 4.5 jog collecting Iseult from after school and completed the other 1.5 miles on the treadmill. A interesting way to run but it worked out well. Wednesday I ran a more orthodox 6 miles around the Cooleen route. Again I took it very handy mindful of the 4 mile race in Newtown the Thursday evening.

It was first time in a few years I had ran a evening race in maybe even 6 years but I was looking forward to it. I knew the course was flat and downhill but I had hoped for a solid 29 minute finish. I did a mile warm up, some stretches, another half a mile more stretches with a few running drills. It was a old routine I used to use and it always helped me relax and stay nimble. The race went well and I was close to a sub 28 minute time finishing in 28mins13seconds. I was delighted with the effort but as I said it was a downhill and flat course. Nevertheless a encouraging outcome. Getting there by degrees.

Saturday a 3 mile recovery jog - HR at 130 and good 12 mile jog along the usual route. I left the latter run until 12 mid day and it suited me better. I was comfortable until mile 11 but I found the 12th mile difficult. Overall time on feet 1hr45mins, average pace 8.37 per mile, HR 155 (a bit high). Then it was a free dinner and dessert in my wife's brother house. Happy days.

A busy week outside of running but I dealt with it well. That allowed me to get my head into my running space. 33 miles for the week. 

Hopefully a few more short races coming up and the Cork half marathon next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment