Sunday 6 February 2022

over the humph - 1 weekto go

 Too lazy to write regular posts these days.


Last week i decided to enter the MCI marathon in Bracknagh with my buddy Aidan. This was a response to the poor 18 miler the Sunday previous. The week leading up to Bracknagh was very solid, a couple of 5 milers during the week. Monday during my lunch break and a pacy 5 miler (7.37pace) on the Wednesday in Charleville. I headed to Offaly the Friday evening staying with Aidan and his family.

This was my first MCI run and it was verywell organised. The plan was to run over 4 hours (my frst time ever) and to treat it as a training run.  The route was flatish enough - 5 laps X 5.25 miles. I ran very slowly with the regulars for the first two laps. (Big shout out to Irene, a mighty lady and a 100 mile runner in Connemara). I started to push on a little bit but felt very relaxed.No gels this time either, just a banana for the first 3 laps, some water and lucozade. The first 13.1 miles passed in 2hrs03mins and the first 20 miles went in around 3hrs04. By lap 4 I was feeling fine reaching 21 miles. By mile 22 the inevitable heavy legs kicked in but I was well able to manage it. I passed a number of runners all in varying states but by mile 23 - mile 25 the pace had dropped to under 10 minute miles and the humpback bridge before the finish had me walking for 45 seconds.  Mind you I wasn't worried. It was a training run after all and I didn't want to be pushing for a time. I crossed in around 4hrs4minutes but kept jogging for another 5minutes after that giving me 4hrs10mins on the feet and around 27 miles on the legs. Job done. I was delighted. It was my first marathon since 2017 and my 15th overall so box ticked.

Aidan strolled in at 3hrs 55 minutes and was very relaxed. He is in great shape.

Next day in Charleville I tacked another 5 miles up on the legs giving me 42 miles for the week.

With 2 weeks to go to Donadea all the work was done and I did very little all week. A easy 5 miles on Wednesday and Saturday and nothing on Sunday. I hope this works out ok for me, I had very heavy legs going into 2 years ago . Saturday night I was out for a rare dinner with my wife (no daughter in tow) so we made the most of it. Full tummy today. 

The legs hopefully need very little work this week. Maybe a couple of easy turnover jogs. Then up to Donadea on Saturday. 

In terms of shape I am as good as I can expect. The long runs while not always easy and not without their problems are okish . 19 miles, 23 miles, 24 miles, 18 miles and 27 miles. The mid week stuff was okish, mostly 3 runs a week but not always 100% consistent either in terms of frequency. The training cycle is slightly better than the attempt of 2020 but it could go either way on the day. The consistency of old (running 5-6 days day in day outbang on)isn't quite there at the moment.

The left ankle is still a issue but I hope I have done enough to keep it quiet. Possible outcome? I intend to finish, raise money for Women's Aid. In terms of finishing time I think sub 5 hours is unlikely but maybe 5hrs15mins to 5hrs20mins might be more likely?I am going to enjoy it and ignore the nonsense.

After that rest and recovery and train for the Cork marathon (again just finish) and hopefully hook up with the running club again. I turned down the offer of a spot for Connemara marathon/ultra and the Wild Atlantic Ultra. I am a ways off that but maybe next year (who knows- anything happens and usually does). Weight wise I have moved away from 14 stone and is now somewhere in the regionof 13stone 7pounds. I was careful with a few thingswith the diet. That will most definitely slip for a few weeks after Donadea tho !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment