Saturday 12 February 2022

Donadea 50k 2022 - DNF and the COVID kick

 A bad week ended with a bad run. COVID household in chez Daly/Lowe. Iseult and Aoiffe got caught with the virus. I had 3 antigen tests tested negative but feeling brutal Saturday morning at 1 am. I took a few paracetamol and hoped for the best. I also tested negative on another antigen test at 3am. I  was up at 5.30 am with Iseult waking up at various stages during the night. Left the house at 6 am. My routine was totally out of whack. Had hoped to be staying in my friends house the night before but obviously that wasn't on.The start of the race I was not feeling good at all. Pain in the head and totally drained. By lap 4 my time was ok but I knew I wasn't happy and I was totally zoned out of it. I wasn't enjoying this at all, in fact I found it to be quite BORING - a feeling I never experienced before. The legs were like jelly. I was done going up the muddy hill a 5th time and resolved to call it a day. I was empty.

I got back to the car and starting up yellow phlegm. Pure shit state of affairs. I felt little pity for myself. It was one of those things and all things being equal I know I might have got under 5 hours or at least 5hrs10mins. At least I raised nearly 900 euro for Womens Aid so thanks for all those who gave generously. I felt bad letting people down and that does bug me.

As for Donadea I am gutted. I was 90 % sure I would get a sub 5, all my raining pointed to it. For 70 quid I do feel you could get a bit more bang for your buck but thems the joys. There is too much cult worship around the race organiser for my liking. Mallow 10, Ballycotton (now gone), Charleville 13.1, Connemara marathons are better events but don't go blowing its trumpet as much as this event.There is certainly no cult of the RD anyway. Its probably its selling point but doesn't work for me. 

Feet up time and await the results of another antigen test tomorrow. The training had gone well but the real life intrusions did for me. You can't run with a virus inside you. Those anti vaxxer nuts talk their little brains and their big holes. A few of them were in the leading race group today. Knobs.

P.S 

Just tested positive. Guess that explains it. All information passed onto relevant authorities and race organiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment