Sunday 20 October 2013

The heart of the matter


October 20th 2013

First up to issue offer congrats to the Mallow AC runners who were running in the Amsterdam marathon. A couple of notable PB’s were achieved including another sub 3 hour run by club captain Aidan Buckley and a excellent 3hr36minute run by Darragh Wiley. This was Darragh's 3rd marathon this year and his second marathon PB in the same period .Hard not to feel wistful all the same, especially with the Dublin marathon coming up. My wife on the other hand is quite glad I am not training for any marathons at the moment able as she is to get me to do as many jobs as possible.

My running this week was compressed into the last 5 days of the week. Not ideal for me but it was the way iit worked out. Did my usual recovery walk on Tuesday (2.5 miles) before heading up to Mayfield on Wednesday for a hilly run. This was my best run up there in a while, running 5.8 miles at 8.50 pace. The last 2 miles are pretty tough but felt strong enough to nearly tack another mile on to it. I followed this up with my fastest run in a while also. 5.5 miles at 8.04 pace. The last 4.5 miles were all sub 8 minute miles. The only annoying aspect was that the HR strap was giving daft readings – 119 HR for example.

On Friday I had a half day in work and repeated the route of my Thursday run but the Garmin died after one mile. No idea what pace I did so I will err on the conservative side and call it as a nine minute pace though I suspect it was much faster.

Saturday was a non running day preoccupied as I was with my wife’s on going gardening project. 4 hours digging out beds is enough cross training for anyone. Still though it meant I scored quite highly in the brownie points ledger.

That meant I under took my weekend run on Sunday. 7.5 miles at 8.40 pace. I was a bit tired for the last 1.5 miles and once again the Hr readings were a bit daft. Previously in August and September the readings were too  high, well into the 160’s now they are totally low less than 120. Obviously the problem lies with the strap and will need a clean and / or a new battery. Hopefully no fear of the symptom’s of Bradycardia – abnormally low heart rate. Nevertheless it does annoy me. Anyway a period of further investigation awaits me. I will update in due course.

 

Tuesday 2.5 mile walk, Wednesday 5.8 run, Thursday 5.5 run, Friday 5.5 mile, Sunday 2.5 walk followed by 7.5 mile run. Total mileage 24 miles running and 5 mile walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment