Sunday 13 October 2013

Ongoing................................


October 7th to October 13th

Last week marked a cycle of training which lasted about seven weeks. The point of which was simply to get back running at a reasonably acceptable slow pace and rediscover my interest in running. The first couple of weeks started v slowly. I could be barely jog out of the house and up the passage before I had to stop for a walk and run jog for 3 miles at around 10 to 11 minute pace. The Hr varied between 132 and 160 with a longstanding pain in in my groin and quad. Each period of walk running was very difficult marked by 15 minute sessions with the foam roller. These weeks were v tough wondering if i would ever recover to run at a normal pace. Running up hills or inclines was out of the question.
Never the less by the 4th week I could see a improvement. The walking had stopped replaced by a slower paced jog. My plans for a Maffetone style approach was still proving elusive so i resolved to simply jog at a reasonably slow jog pace and evaluate the Hr later. At the end of the 4th week I was “up” to 11 miles a week and jogging 3 times a week. Humble stuff I grant you but i was feeling happier.

On  a personal front I resolved a few issues and this also helped things along. At the end of week 6th a definite plan was taking shape in regard to the rest of the year and this filled me with renewed hope. So far I have deliberately ignored speedwork and running with clubmates. I think at times in training for Cork marathon i overdid it on both counts so it will be still a while before I will do either. Anyway by week 6 I was running 4 times a week each run about 4 miles or so with a pace between 8.30 and 9.30. The Hr at times was still veering over 160 which tells its own story. However since that week the HR has remained under 160 as the average pace now is between 8.20 and 9.00. Slow improvements but important ones nevertheless. Injuries have cleared up but still have a niggle underneath my left foot with a slight degree of stiffness in my right hip on the odd occasion. My weight is still hefty enough probably close to 14stone so will need to take care of that too.

Anyway now that I can run 22 miles a week 4 times a week with one recovery walk, things are getting better.Nothing will change much over the next month, no speed work and no group running. Ideally i would love to get the running done in the morning and get out 5 times a week but even thinking such thoughts bodes well doesn’t it? Ongoing............................

Week ending 13th October

Monday 3 mile walk, Tuesday 3 mile walk, Wednesday 5.3 mile at 8.27 pace Hr 160, Thursday 5.2 miles at 8.50 pace Hr 152, Friday rest, Saturday 7 miles at 8.57 pace Hr 157, Sunday 5 miles at 8.19 pace. Total miles 22 plus 5.5 mile walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment