Wednesday 23 October 2013

Back to the future


21st October 2013

Thankfully in another week the Dublin marathon will be a thing of history so at least I will be on some sort of level playing pitch as everybody else. Regarding upcoming plans for races the truth is I have no plans. I have entered the Dungarvan 10 and might enter the Ballycotton simply on the principle if you are not in you can’t take part. In regard to Connemara I am totally undecided – the half, the full or the ultra? Currently I’m not anyway near any sort of racing shape but I will weigh things up in January. I do definitely want to have a crack off the 26.2 distance next year, most likely Dublin. This may be my last chance at another PB.

For the moment the same theme is repeating itself – run, don’t worry about speed or pace and build up some base mileage. Monday was a case in point 6 miles at 8.23 pace with a HR of 147. I hadn’t expected to do 6 miles in Charleville but the route meant if I wanted to get back to my front door I had to cover the complete distance.I had no intentions of walking the last half mile. I was lucky to miss the heavy showers which erupted as I soon I stuck my sweaty head into the kitchen. Tuesday was my usual walk with Aoiffe -2.5 miles. She was keen to get out and get fresh air, I less so but after a mile or so I was getting in better form for it.

What is interesting that in terms of work and household chores I have bags more energy these days than i had for the last 3 years. Unfortunately I have no marathon excuses to get out of stuff anymore. Take the bins out? No problem!!! Dig flower beds? No problem!!! Go shopping in Cork? No problem!!! Take the 3rd years to a excursion? No problem!!!!  Organise a  school sports project? No problemClean the windows? I’m sure you get the idea.  Sometimes it easier to say no!!!!!

Wednesday I took advantage of a gap in my working day to get the bus from Cork city centre on McCurtain St up to my Mums house in Mayfield. These Wednesday runas at 10.15 am are a real godsend. It means I am at my freshest for a workout and I still can get back to work by 12.00 am. I have a few extra  bits and pieces going on which means the working day really doesn’t finish until 7.30 pm. Missing workouts isn’t a option anymore. Anyway for this one I decided against the normal hill run around the Glen and did 6 miles of laps around the soccer pitch behind the house. Anyway 12 laps later at 8.37 pace the workout was completed and i was never any further than a 5 minute walk from my house. Grass running is great for the legs. The pace was slow for the first mile (8.55) but was down to 8.20 for the last few miles. HR was quite high 157 but I felt very comfortable all the way through. The high Hr has me perplexed, i changed the battery in the strap so I assume that it is now correct but it is way higher than Mondays effort. Perhaps the change of terrain might account for it or maybe I am doing something wrong. Time to consider speed work in a few weeks.  3 mile tempos or maybe start with something easier?

No comments:

Post a Comment