Saturday 5 October 2013

HOK - Hands on knees but a smile on the face


September 30th to October 6th

More of the same really but happier each time I review my weeks running. I seem to be able to complete each of my targeted workouts at a more acceptable slower pace (between 8.30 and 9 minute pace). The Hr still remains unacceptably high in that I would prefer it to be under 150 rather than under 160 but then again at the start of September it was well into the high 160’s for nightmare jogs of 10 minute pace. Looking back on that entire period of June to September is like revisiting some sort of waking nightmare. It’s a place i am not happy to revisit ever again. Simply put i had burnt my mind and body out. I reacted very bad mentally to the disappointment of the Cork marathon and then made the mistake of not simply concentrating on rest, recovery and base building.My sub 3.30 last year  and the training involved took a lot of time and effort and I probably stupidly assumed it be easily repeated again. Anyway i won’t be in a position (for various reasons) to tackle another marathon PB attempt for 12 months so best to put it aside. All the same I am happy i have showed the guts to slowly pick myself up.

As i said I will be concentrating on building base, leg strength and a good solid base of medium slow “long runs”. I wont be doing any speed work either, at least not until after the marathon mayhem of October and November dies down. By then I hope I will be in a decent place to able to hold my own with the medium pace runners in the club.

Monday was a 2.5 recovery walk with my wife. Tuesday was a 5 mile run up the hills of Mayfield. This was done at 9 minute pace with a average pace of 9 minutes. It’s a tough run with a hefty 2 mile hilly at the finish. I repeated the same run on Wednesday. I was a bit quicker this time with a average pace of 8.47 but the effort was still high 159 Hr.Thursday was a snappier 4.3 run around Charleville. Average pace was 8.17 with the fastest mile being the last mile clocked in around 8.05 pace. No Hr reading for this one but the sweat on my t shirt and the *HOK at the finish was enough to tell me all I needed to know. Rest day on Friday and a one hour slow jog around Charleville on Saturday. I wanted to run this on the acceptable side of slow which ended up being 8.57 pace and a distance of 6.7 miles covered in the hour. Hr was 156 which is high but again in the context of the last few months is reasonable. Last year running at that pace would have produced a HR of `140.

In terms of race i don’t plan to enter any races for the foreseeable year but I did send off my entry for the Dungarvan 10 mile race on at the end of January. A long way away but it’s a race I really want to get even with after the trouble of previous years doing it.  It’s funny how runners develop a dislike of some races and a love of others. Dungarvan falls into the previous category while  say the the Mallow 10 and Midleton 5 falls into the latter.

Any readers of this blog would know I entered the Connemara marathon for April last year but deferred it because I had no proper training done for it. I don’t know if I will end up racing it but maybe that could be a plan when I set myself some new years goals later on in the year. It isn’t a PB course but it could be a different sort of challenge (second fastest marathon perhaps or maybe just get around and use it as a sort of long run). My head is also being turned by the Rotterdam marathon a week after the scheduled 2014 Connemarathon but it isn’t really practical to expect to be able to do both. All ideas just floating about in my head. I have a definite plan worked out for the period April to December 2014 but i won’t be revealing that to anyone. Lets just get some consistency  done there....

Mileage for the week 24.4 miles. Monday 2.5 mile walk, Tuesday 5 miles, Wednesday 5 miles, Thursday 4.3 miles, Saturday 6.7 miles.

*HOK – Hands on Knees

No comments:

Post a Comment