Sunday 27 January 2013

A good hard look in the mirror


Tuesday 22nd January

5.2 miles at medium pace in Charleville. Cold day for it and pretty slippy arond the town park and heading into the estate. Was glad to get in the door.

Wednesday 23rd January

After wolfing down a couple of Yorkie bars, I managed to summon my legs out for a easy recovery run with my wife. Covered 3.72 miles in 40 minutes. Fairly apprehensive about Sunday’s race. It’s my first big race since Dublin and the week before I attempt to prepare for a crack at the Cork marathon.

Sunday 27th January- Dungarvan 10 mile race

Haven’t done a whole lot since Wednesday bar a easy 3 miles on Saturday. Had planned to meet up for a club session on Thursday but realised on the way down from Cork city I hadn’t packed any shorts and as it was too late to pull into a shop to buy a new pair I had to cancel. Wasn’t best pleased about it but then I also realised I had no wallet on me either to buy a cheapie pair. Maybe a rest would be better after all. Anyway onto the race.

Dungarvan 10 mile race

I was very hopeful and looking forward to this race. Plan A was to break 70 minutes, plan B was to get under 72 minutes. The first 5 miles I kept up with pacers but i didn’t feel great. The rest of the run was a complete and utter disaster. In fact i felt so embarrassed I considered dropping out at mile 8. The legs packed in at mile 5. That was bad enough but the back pain I endured all the way to the finish was something else. I have been getting twinges on and off since December anytime I did any running but today was pretty bad. Even after the Heath 10K I was very sore. Finished in at 1.16.14. Felt like a right eejit. Didn’t want to even claim my goody bag. In fact I gave it to the young fella who lives next door to us. A lot of Mallow runners ran excellent times, felt a small bit gloomy heading back to the car with my mate Don.

What do I need to do?

1)       Back to basics. No point in running any marathons for a while that’s for sure. Keep the paces easy and the races to a limit for a while. I had hoped to train for Cork but until I am happy with my form, appetite and physiology that will be on hold

2)       Change my trainers. The supplier who gave them to me said they were they were the new alternative to the Nike's high arch supports I usually wear. Not too sure if they are helping. 

3)       Get to a physio and get a good back massage.

4)       Start doing some sort of core training. Even if it means sacrificing a evenings running so be it. Back pain and back discomfort needs to be sorted. This goes beyond running.

5)       Next 10 mile race is Ballycotton. Will be hoping for a solid 1.20.No point in getting too ambitious.
Below is a photo from the Heath 10K just two steps before the finish.


 

2 comments:

  1. Chin up Cathal, don't lose faith. We all have bad days and low points and it's how we deal with these that is the true test. Recover well and come back fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good and sad days Cathal. Only advise is not to over think it. Will be a distant memory after you next good day.

    ReplyDelete