Friday 4 January 2013

Sugar is your thanks in this world!!!!


1st January 2013

Start of new year with routine recovery jog. 3 miles in just under 27 minutes

2nd January 2013 and 3rd January

Took a rest day on Tuesday (2nd January) mainly in anticipation of Wednesday’s  tempo run. Spent most of Wednesday driving around Cork with my wife looking at granite worktops and new kitchen sinks. I know it sounds pretty dull but I enjoyed the day. To be honest I haven’t a clue about DIY but the wife is a dinger at this kind of kind replete with measurements, wood colours and the various phraseology. It’s just that the guys who work in these places answer back to me while Aoiffe asks the questions. I find it quite funny but I don’t think Aoiffe does. By the way in case you are reading Susan , Vincent was informing me of your injury issues, I hope they sort themselves out. You were making serious strides running.

Anyway my run today meant I was on more familiar ground. It was a tough workout. The first mile was a warmup run (8.45).This was followed by a 5 mile tempo effort, hopefully under 7 minute pace. It was a tough workout but at no stage did I feel it was running away from me. Mile 1 was hit in 6.55, mile 2 6.57, mile 3 was the toughest hitting a long pull out on the Cork road 7.00 pace.I was hitting all my splits every ¼, ½ and ¾ mile. Did a U turn out on the road and headed back towards town. I was feeling really strong at this stage and completed this in 6.53, helped by a sharpish downhill section. I started cursing loudly to myself pushing myself for another 7 minutes. The 5th mile brought me back down the railway road and I was chuffed to have completed this mile in 6.50. In all i ran the 5 miles in 34minutes 40 seconds. To put it in perspective I only managed my first sub 35 minute time in the Midleton 5 last May. I know hope to maintain this tempo pace in future in particular when I start marathon training later in the year. At the moment my focus is firmly on the Dungarvan 10. Finished the workout with 3 minute recovery and 1.2 mile jog home. Very excited with todays workout!!!!

7 miles with 5 mile tempo in 34 minutes 40 seconds.

Friday 4th January

I reckoned the legs would be heavy enough today and so it proved. Very blustery outside which made progress difficult. Having a big lunch a hour before i went out the door wasn’t the best idea either. I wanted to run this workout at around 8.30 pace –a throwback to the days of the midweek medium pace run. Even though i was only out there for less than a hour the time seemed to pass really slowly. 1 hour felt like 2 hours..a sign i usually feel of mental fatigue. I certainly wasn’t enjoying the run but I was determined to win this battle too. Completed the 7 miles in 58mins45second which at 8mins24seconds  pace isn’t too shabby at all. Of more concern is the rising weight. Before I tapered for the Dublin marathon my weight was bang on 13 stone which was 10 pounds less than it was when I started training. I am now comfortably back up the higher point of the scales now. While I hardly expect to lose much weight in 3 weeks, it’s time to make inroads. Time to quit the tea, the biscuits, beer (not that I drink a lot), the white carbs and the chocolate (sigh). I often wonder were i nearer 12 stone rather than 13 stone what racing times would I manage!!! Even someone commented to me recently I was “quite overweight for a runner”!!!! Shit’s the thanks, eh?

 Also on the lookout for a good strength and conditioning course. The wife goes to circuits but it’s a bit too hi-tempo for my needs. My body gets enough of a pounding on the road as it is without adding to it...

7 miles in 58mins45seconds (8.24 pace)

1 comment: