Sunday 15 April 2012

Beware of the Icebergs...


Beware of the Icebergs...

at mile 4 and mile 6, as some wag said at the start of the race. A group of us laughed, a couple of people gave some disapproving looks.. Anyway off we went. I had spent the previous night having a 4 course meal in a Cork hotel washed down with a couple of bottles of Bulmers. The mother in law couldn't understand why I "wasn't any thinner all the running I do". Now we know why !!! Finding a parking spot in Cobh  was tricky endeavour  what with all those hills but got there in plenty of time. Annette, a friend did note i looked a bit green around the gills but once we got motoring I was o.k. My original plan was to run the 10 miles as a long slow run -8.30 to 9.00 pace but that morning I resolved to run the 4 miles at this slower pace and run the last 6 miles at a all out pace or as close to a half marathon pace (7.30 pace). I knew I wasn’t fit or strong enough to race the entire ten miles at pace so I figured it would be better to run the race as a constructive long training run. A PB was out of the question. Dungarvan, Ballycotton or Mallow are the races for that.

Miles 1-4

Plodded off.It was nice running down the back and it was interesting how to see how people were getting on. Everyone looked very comfortable but when we hit the hills at mile 2 and mile 4 the effort was clearly too much even for those doing at such a slow pace. I was getting ansty at this stage and was looking forward to testing my legs. At mile 2 I was diverted by a lady spectator and her 3 rather large St. Bernard dogs. Glad they were under  a lesh but they looked too slobbery to be dangerous.

Mile 4 -10

Coming down the crest of the hill it was time to get some running done. I wanted to keep the pace between 7.15-7.30 as I was fearful the recovery would inhibit my running for the rest of the week. The local support was excellent and the course was very pretty with lots of green trees and country roads. Nice to hear the birds chirping, It definitely felt like Spring. The effort wasn’t too difficult and by mile 7 I was really enjoying myself. No one was passing me out and I was going past people by the cartload. I decided to run by feel and see what time I could end up with. At mile 7 a old lady pulled out right in front of us in a Astra but I even managed to run past that. (Ok it was hardly in first gear but it counts....). At mile 8 at a bend I managed to cut the corner nice and tight and took 3 club runners out of it. Something about a St Finbarrs singlet be it in or hurling or running that inspires a Northsider!!!! Things were getting a bit more difficult after this point and I think at this stage we were running the same route as the Cork to Cobh 15 mile race. This pushed me even further- scene of my best ever race -as the legs started to buckle. By Mile 9 as we turned into the town there were 4 of us running together . One guy with a beard in his 50’s was in trouble as he veered away from the racing line. I picked him off. Another guy running on the pavement looked surprised as I went past him. With ½ a mile to go the pavement  guy  sped up past me and onto the finish. The other guy with the shades was level with me and said something to me when he went past me. Couldn’t pick it up either in terms of what he said or the pace. These were the only two to pass me from mile 4 onwards. Crossing the line I was satisfied with a job well done. My time was modest (1.17.13). In fact it was my second slowest 10 mile ever but it was probably the first race this year I actually enjoyed. As a long run it was very useful.  

Then I had the long uphill walk to the community centre . Chatted to TJ Buckley on the way up. He ran 1.15 but was happy enough  with his efforts. TJ usually can pull a sub 3.30 in marathons even at the age of 60 – a mighty runner.

Was home to Charleville by 2.00 pm. Back to work tomorrow. A very well organised race. Will be back next year

Mile splits 8.16, 8.20, 8.45, 8.26, 7.19, 7.18, 7.00, 7.10, 7.22, 7.15. Miles 5 to 10 run at average pace of 7.14.

Total miles for week 36 miles

2 comments:

  1. Last comment should have said 'well done'. But I can see that you 'dined' well too :)

    ReplyDelete