Friday 20 April 2012

Ballintotis 4 mile


Ballintotis 4 mile race.

Headed to Ballintotis with the two dudes – Dermot and Don. Known these guys for 20 years  and at the moment we are making the transition from going on the beer to going to races. Don has run 4 marathons and loads of half marathons, 10 milers etc.I reckon chasing after his 3 kids keeps him in shape. We ran two Dublin’s and a Rome together so you could say we have done our fair share of miles together. Derm took to the roads last year having run a number of half marathons. His approach is more relaxed than say mine but is always game for a challenge!!!!

750 people took to the start line for this one on a country road so narrow you could lie your head on one side and your ankles on the other. Has hoping for a PB at this distance and ideally for a sub 28 minutes. My previous best was 28.18 (ish) in Belgooly. Started the watch as soon as the gun/crowd started moving and it probably was 8 seconds before I crossed the line. Chip timing has major advantages!!!! Mile one was called out in 7.26 – way too slow and I was beginning to experience that old sinking feeling. Then I decided to run around the side of the crowd rather than through it and spent  a good two minutes running on the grassy verge. A risky strategy as it was either potholed or very slippery. Plenty of others followed and at mile 2 I was feeling happier.

 Hit mile2 at 6.45 and feeling a lot happier. Previously when this motoring at this sort of pace I tended to slow down to 7.10 per mile but this time I was feeling strong. The course was starting to hit a downhill section and I was beginning to wonder if i would do a sub 28 minute after all. My brief stint of speedwork was certainly paying off and mile 3 was completed in 6.53. At this stage I reckoned a 6.50 finish would see me through. I was pretty confident of getting a PB at the very worse. I was also happy I was managing to keep the garmin pace just under the 7 minute mark. The last ½ mile stretch on the Cork rd to the finish saw me over take a few familiar faces until a guy crossed my path pushing me off course into the grass verge. It was only a few seconds but it was to prove significant.

100 metres to go i could see the clock counting at 27.3x. Crossed the line with a garmin time of bang on 28.00 minutes and I reckoned a clock time of 28.02. Mile 4 was around 6.55 and I measured the course at 4.05 miles.  Happy to get a PB but a bit peeved not to have got under a sub 28 minutes. The results gave my official time as 28.03 but I figured if chipped I would have made it in 27.55. That said the handicap of the crowded start was a problem for everyone so them’s the break. Enjoyed the race. Lovely spot and great to see people and families of all ages out for a run. At least it takes our mind off more weighty economic matters. The two lads also set PB’s and the usual mickey taking  out of each other.  Left Ballintotis at 9.00, home by 10.30 pm. Up again at 6.30 am next day and back into work at 8.20 am. Spent the day between classes pondering what route to do Saturday morning..........

Official Time -28.03 (Mile 1- 7.26, Mile 2 6.41-645, Mile 3 651-6.53, Mile 4 6.53-6.55). My time 28.00. I recorded the course as 4.05 miles. The extra 0.5 miles was a extra 17 seconds.As a tempo run a useful exercise

2 comments:

  1. like the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds as if you beat the 28 mins for 4 miles then. well done

    ReplyDelete