Thursday 7 September 2017

taper time 1

Taper time was officially supposed to start last Sunday after my last big planned long run -22 miles. I only managed 7 miles instead. The plan went awry as I was feeling a bit drained and running a another long run around Charleville didn't do much for my head. The previous few days were a mixture of the good and the average. Monday I ran a 4 mile recovery jog, Tuesday 10 miles with 8.41 miles at 7.08 pace, Wednesday a dog of a 10 mile run up in Cork (8.25 pace) a very poor effort, Thursday and Friday no running and 10 miles on Saturday at planned marathon pace (7.32 pace). That run went well. I had planned to head down to Waterford for the Greenway half marathon but getting up at 5.45am to get down for 8am just wasn't going to happen so I opted for the MP run instead. I should have tacked on another 5 miles but I was under pressure with real life stuff so no chance.

By the time I got up on Sunday the head and heart weren't up for it at all so I cut my losses after a hour. I opted instead for a long run up in Cork instead after work, starting at 4 pm. The evening was lovely as September evenings tend to be and I enjoyed the run, starting by my parked car by work heading up to Mayfield via Montenotte with 2 laps of the estate and then onto Banduff, Spring Lane, Old Mallow Road, Commons rd, Blackpool (bumping into Aunt Mary), North Mall, Sundays Well, Mardyke, Straight Road and turning back by the Anglers Rest and back to the car via Lee Felds, Kingsley hotel, Mardyke and North Mall up to Wellington Road. The pace was slow , deliberately slow (8.51 Pace/ 3 hours 15 minutes). I never felt troubled on the route enjoying it and the people watching that went with it. Wednesday - 8 miles in Charleville, heavy legs for that one. Shagged again, very little proper sleep since Monday night. Onwards but need to watch it, things could get messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment