Monday 7 March 2016

Fufilling a fixture - Ballycotton 10

Week ending 6th March
I ran my 5th Ballycotton race yesterday, 2 years since I ran my PB there in a time of 1hr09mins40secs. I didn’t run there all last year as I was preoccupied with training for the Connemara ultra. Not running there last year was a mistake and I was determined to rectify it by training well and hopefully getting a PB. However a mixture of apathy (hard to account for it) and a flu picked up in London meant that by the time I arrived on the start line I would be doing well to get around the course. I hadn’t run 10 miles in nearly 3 weeks and got a serious dose of the heaves last Tuesday attempting to jog 2 X 15 minutes at 7.45 pace. Three weeks ago I ran 10 miles with a 5 mile tempo at 7.05 pace so that showed how much I had fallen.  Aoiffe thought I was nuts making my way down to fufill a fixture but I reasoned it was a good opportunity to catch up with clubmates and also with my good buddy Aidan McGee. I also wanted another mug for my collection.
As for the race itself there wasn’t a whole lot to say. A few clubmates who would have been looking to get serious times couldn’t run on account of illness and injury but they were good enough to come down on the club coach. It was good craic on the way down.
I finished in a inglorious time of 1hr21mins57seconds. It’s probably my slowest 10 mile race ever  and while I did feel under a slight bit of pressure at mile 4 to mile 6 I was relaxed enough at the end.
As I say not a glorious running moment but I am glad I headed down. Hopefully I can kick on from here and gradually improve over the spring and into the summer. Improvements will be gradual but possible.

Monday 6 miles, Tuesday 7 miles, Sunday 10 mile race Ballycotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment