Sunday 27 March 2016

Doneraile hills

Week ending 27th March,

It was another positive running week in that I managed to get a decent few miles up on the belt. It was the enthusiasm that I felt for running that I was most happy with. Nevertheless I did take 2 rest days during the week as on Wednesday I was feeling a bit tired, a kind of underlying terseness that I traditionally associated with marathon training and which I generally ignored. However this time I took the rest day on Wednesday and today with good grace. Thursday I ran 7.5 miles with 5 X 2 minute sprints at 6.40 average pace and plodded a easy paced long run of 11 miles at 8.20 pace on Friday.

Actually Friday’s run was probably a bit faster than it should have been and I was a bit worried that I would  suffer when running the Doneraile hills with the club on the Saturday morning. The Saturday morning Doneraile run is a long tradition of the club and is probably the most favoured workout by club members. It was my first time doing it so I was a bit nervous going along. I rarely show my face at club sessions any more so it was good to reconnect with the people there. The crowd was small (7 runners) and I was tipping away for the first 2.5 miles. By mile 5.5 the steam was coming out of my ears and the hill at the back of the park was really taking it out of me. I balked at the thought of doing that hill a third time opting for the flatter route towards the car park. Peadar Lucey looked totally chilled at what was a easy 7.30 pace for him and Pat Daly was flying it as well. Eamonn Nagle was on his second loop of the course at that stage. I covered the 6 miles at 8.10 pace but the last 3 were around the 7.50-7.55 range which isn’t bad for a novice. I have to admit though my legs felt it for the rest of the day. The Mayfield route I used to do regularly has steeper hills but the difference in Doneraile was that the pace and intent was quicker and the surface was trail rather than road. All in all I did enjoy it, it’s a fantastic amenity.

In regard to future weeks a plan is forming but I am still wary of blowing up again.


Miles for the week 37.5 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment