Sunday 1 February 2015

Last week of January 2015

Week ending 1st February

A bit concerned about the long run. I had hoped to get 3 hours/20-21 miles up on the legs but I didn’t get beyond 2hrs55mins and even that was punctuated by 2 X 4 minute walks on the trickier hillier areas on the way home. I didn’t have a garmin with me so I estimated the distance ran, so it may been 19.5-19.7 miles. It’s probably better to opt for a flatter route next time in order to get time up on the legs and confidence in the head. Considering a 20 mile run is only slighter more than half the distance of the race I would need to be comfortable running 20 miles in the same way you need to be comfortable running 13 miles when training for a marathon.

The week day’s running was solid enough – 4 miles on Monday, 9.5 miles on Tuesday (7.40 pace), 9 miles up in Cork on Wednesday (7.53 pace) and most encouragingly of all a 7 mile run with a 5 mile tempo at 7 minute pace with a rest day Friday.

I ran in Dungarvan today using the 10 mile race as a back to back run. Driving down with Tony and Clive we all had different targets. Tony looking for a sub 70 minute time, Clive for a PB and me looking for a marathon pace run. I ran a two mile warm up and then ran the first mile in 8.20 or so. I picked up the pace after that but the legs were certainly heavy for the first 3 miles. The weather was fabulous certainly a improvement on last years deluge. It was nice running in a race not being under pressure. I ran the first half in 42 minutes, the second half in under 38 minutes, the last mile coming in under 7 minutes. All in all a very good workout making some amends for Saturdays laboured effort.Tony got under 70 minutes, Clive under 72 minutes. They were happy and so was I. It was good to run in company and meet up with some clubmates.

Next week will be a easier week in terms of mileage. I have a few things on so it suits me.

Mileage for the week 60.5 miles. Monday 4 mls, Tuesday 9.5 mls, Wednesday 9 mls, Thursday 7 mls, Saturday 19mls, Sunday 12mls with 10mls at 8 minute pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment