Sunday 22 February 2015

It's all about the long runs, really.

Week ending 22nd February 2015.

And on the running goes……. I had targeted this week as being a high mileage week on the account of having the week off work and so it proved. It also meant a extra couple of hours in bed every morning which doesn’t do any harm at all and no 2 hour commute every day either. Accordingly I ran 70 miles this week which amounts to a weekly record for me and still allowed myself the Thursday off running. The only niggle or downside was today’s long run in Mallow. I went out not really mentally geared up for it, always a bad sign and was conflicted as to what mileage I was going to do – 15, 21 or 24 miles (a sure sign of mental fatigue). In the end I opted for the 21 miles. It was tough going evidenced by the fact I hardly said a word to my clubmates on the run. I was feeling the pressure at mile 18 and walked for 3 minutes before setting off again stopping to a halt after 3 hours and 21 miles, a mile away from the car park. I had enough at this stage. Next week I intend to be a lot more clued in as to what has to be done and may actually take the Saturday off before hand in order to give myself a bit of rest. I have 4 weeks of proper training left before the taper.It's all about the long runs really.


In terms of the actual ultra itself I am beginning to get slightly worried. I had hoped to be fresh enough to run 4 hours plus (approx. covering last 26 – 28 miles) before the inevitable struggle kicks for the last 10 -13 miles. Now I am not too sure, what if I completely seize up before mile 26 and find myself to be a walking dead man long before the real challenge kicks in? I suppose the solution will be running slower, taking some walking breaks and stocking up early on the nutrition side of things. Maybe the taper and the race adrenaline will be enough to help me on the day.

They say ultra's are 30 % physical, 70% mental or maybe that's just the profile of the people who undertake them.

As I said though it was nevertheless a good running work being particularly happy with Monday’s and Wednesday’s workout.

Next week’s mileage won’t be as high as I won’t be running on Tuesday and / or Saturday.


Monday 14 miles at 8.33 pace, Tuesday 4 miles recovery at 9.15 pace, Wednesday 10.2 miles at 7.30 pace, Friday 10.5 miles at 7.57 pace, Saturday 10.3 miles at 8.05 pace, Sunday 21 miles at 8.33 pace. Total mileage 70 miles.

P.S - the photo is of me pacing the Mallow Ten last year. All a bit manic...

No comments:

Post a Comment