Sunday 3 February 2019

spun out

Great intentions this week after a good solid week last week. Took the Monday off as per usual as there is no real opportunity to get a run in given work/ family/ creche collection obligations. I did my usual Tuesday morning run at 6.30 using (as usual)the stopwatch. I covered 7 mls in what I felt was a modest effort. The rest of the day went fine but by Wednesday evening after the snow cleared up I had nothing in the tank - I just came home and slept for a hour before I headed down to collect Iseult from the creche and that was pretty much the window closed. Thursday evening was a productive effort but the legs felt gammy for the first 3 miles before picking up the pace and running 7.5 miles at a comfortable 8 minute pace. I was happy with the workout and looked forward to a productive weekend.

Friday was a odd day. No chance of running given the usual work/ iseult collection cycle. Again on Saturday I had no interest in running in the morning (too cold.... too dark.... too soft) before heading up to Cork with the gang for a dinner up in the Montenotte hotel and meeting the lads for the rugby game in the Crawford. I was hanging coming home (tired not drunk) and I knew I was in trouble for the Dungarvan 10 on Sunday. Iseult was up again at 6.30 am (the pet) and my wife had other stuff on (work) and I frankly didn't have a ounce of energy mentally or physically for the drive down, a race and a drive back. I simply stayed at home and grabbed 40 winks when possible.

I was in my own words "spun out". I have had this before but looking back I should have done a few things differently in the week. I'm happily rested now but better care and attention required in particular with diet, rest and hydration. Too much running (pardon the pun) doing stuff during the week and in particular Saturday allied with a very poor sugar laden diet did the damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment