Sunday 11 October 2015

Last two weeks

October 11th
It’s only 2 weeks to the Frankfurt marathon so the training is done and dusted now. The next few weeks are all about essential maintence and avoid anything daft. I finished this week with a mere 38 miles getting in two ten mile efforts on Thursday and Saturday, one slow and one at marathon pace (7.40 pace) with a 18 mile run at 8.30 pace in the rare company of Mallow ac. It was my first run with the club in 13 weeks and it was good to get out with them. A good number of the club are running in Frankfurt, all hoping to PB in the sub 3 hour to sub 3.25 range. I had hoped to get some running completed during the Monday to Wednesday period but work commitments and family commitments made it impossible.


The previous week saw me clock my highest number of miles yet – 60 miles. The two most notable workouts were a 20.5 mile long run on Thursday evening and a 15 mile long run on Saturday. The first long run was patchy enough. The route was flat – Glanmire to Blackrock and back again but I started stitching at mile 19 and was forced to call it a day after 3 hours. I had hoped to do 23 miles so that wasn’t great. I had to walk the 2 miles back to the car in a certain amount of discomfort for 15 minutes. It wasn’t a great workout. Saturday was a lot better running the 15 miles in a very snappy 7.42 fashion. A good speed session. It’s hard to know what to make of it to be honest but I suspect the differing quality of the workouts had more to do with getting a good nights sleep and running on a empty stomach. The 20.5 mile run was a tired run and having a rushed lunch didn't help.

In regard to setting a goal for Frankfurt a PB would be a tall ask, yet.......

No comments:

Post a Comment