Monday 20 July 2015

42 again

Week ending 19th July

Another weeks running done and dusted. Same mileage as last week – 42 miles. I probably would need to be getting into 50 miles a week territory pretty soon. Hopefully I will manage it this week and maintain the mileage the week after. 

The time from 3rd August to  12th August will see less mileage but the plan from then on is start ramping it in preparation for the Frankfurt marathon which will be 10 weeks from the time I get back in time for the dreaded Clonmel half marathon.

Plenty of time between now and then of course but I have been giving my post Frankfurt marathon plans some rough thought. I have ruled out doing any ultra next year, although I do hope to return to Connemara again in 2017 or perhaps give Portuma a shot. In terms of marathons I have vague notions of doing the Sixmilebridge or Clonakilty marathons afterwards but as I came a cropper last year training for Sixmilebridge maybe not. For the moment I don’t see myself training for anymore serious marathons until next year focusing almost totally on distances between 5k and 10 miles with perhaps a 13.1 mile race thrown in.

The cornerstone of this weeks training was 2 speed sessions and one LSR. Monday was the usual 4 recovery run (9.36 pace, HR 135). Tuesday was the speed work. 2 mile warm up with 30 minutes tempo and a 1 mile cooldown. The legs were dead enough and the splits were reflective of this. The average pace was 7.09 which is a small bit slower than the last tempo run but the last mile picked up to sub 7 pace. Not a bad effort all the same but hopefully the next tempo will see some improvement.
Wednesday was a slower 80 minute run but it was a lovely day for it. I ran 9.5 miles it total at 8.25 pace around by Pikes cross and Cooleens. All flat and all slow.

Thursday a training session with Mallow AC, warm and cooldown with 6 X 0.5 mile hill repeats in Doneraile Park. I was fine for the first 3 repeats (6.40 pace) but suffered badly in the last three (7.00). Lesson learned.

No running Friday or Saturday which probably needs to be rectified in future weeks.

Sunday was a long run. I met the Mallow crew at Newtwopothouse and jogged the 6 miles to Doneraile park taking part in a 5K fundraiser on behalf of local lad, Dessie Fitzgerald. I jogged down the back at 9 minute pace and then the remaining 7 miles back to my car. That gave me 16 miles in total at a pace of 8min50sec pace or 2hrs21min on the feet. It was slow and it wasn’t always comfortable but that’s the way it was meant to be. I need to emphasis long runs over the next few weeks.

A lot of stuff to work on.


42 miles (4 mls Monday, 7 mls with 4mls tempo Tuesday, 9.5 miles Wednesday, 5.5 miles with 6 X 800 metre hill repeats Thursday, 16 miles Sunday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment