Sunday 31 May 2015

Plantar Fasciitis

Week ending 31st May
This has been my longest gap between updates. My last race was of course has been the Connemara ultra where I didn’t get under the 6 hour mark but was glad to get the race covered and to get under 6hrs20mins. The problem (as I feared) has been one of recovery. I took 2 weeks off running and then eased into running (lots of slow Maffetone type jogging) and then into one modest speed session with the club (4 X 6 minutes). On the Sunday I joined the club for a 10 mile jog where I ran the last 3 miles at marathon pace (7.40 per mile). The problems started when the plantar fasciitis started to flare up.
The PF first flared up in 2010 when I first started training for my first marathon. It required some rigorous (painful) physiotheraphy at the hands of the now sadly departed Rob Savage but I was back in training after 2 weeks. It just meant little or no speedwork over the summer. It also acted up a couple of years later but was sorted within a week.
This time I headed down to John O’Sullivan in Mallow and he said I was lucky I started dealing with it early. He worked on the calves, hamstrings and Achilles as well as the heel spur.After 3 visits and another 2 weeks off the feet I headed back running doing lots of slow short jogging (4 miles during the week with Sunday long runs of 7 and 10 miles). On the positive side the HR side of things has been very positive. If I run slower than 8.45 pace the Hr levels out at under 145 so I am happy to keep it there. Hillwork and speedwork isn’t still viable nor is participation in any races. The PF hasn’t completely cleared up either but I am religiously icing and treating the afflicted area a number of times a day as well as stretching the calves and breaking up the spur. This month I have covered a modest 98 miles which says it all.

Injuries are becoming a issue in the last few years. 2013 I exhausted the body after the Cork City marathon and gave my quads a nasty pull. After the 2014 Amsterdam marathon I had to withdraw from the Sixmilebridge marathon with tight calves and a sore hip flexor. After the Tralee marathon and in the leadup to Connemara I had issues with my left kneecap which was related to a ITBS issue. It’s all part and parcel of the running game but injury preventation may be required as part of training. In regard to upcoming challenges I won’t be making any plans yet.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately injuries and more significantly the recovery from them becomes more of an issue as we get older and continue to push our bodies to the limit. Sounds like you're well on your road to recovery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your on the meant man, take it easy

    ReplyDelete