Sunday 5 April 2015

Second week of the taper for the ultra

Week ending 5th April
Second week of the taper done and dusted. It means that this time next week  I will be nearly 4 hours in the race. As to what mileage I will have run at that stage I don’t know but a race strategy is something worth thinking about over the next week. I do envision a walk run strategy every hour or so, maybe walk 3 minutes and use that time to get some gels and food inside me. As to what pace I will run I will keep that to myself. The main objective though is to ideally finish the 39.3 miles under 6.5 hours and recover reasonably quickly over a few weeks.
I purchased around 10 gels in Cork during the week and while I don’t have a running belt it may be better to get one rather than stuffing them all into my pockets. My drop bags will carry a few more gels, some bananas, flat coke and probably jaffa cakes. Best to get the nutrition in early though I suspect I won’t be needing half the stuff I will bring with me. The other consideration is what clothes to wear though I think a long sleeved top and a light singlet should suffice as well as compression socks. Gloves will probably be a prerequisite and possibly a hat. I’ll consider the need for leggings closer the time.
Running wise things were fine. I went to the physio on Monday and while the knee structure was fine (bar a light click- I’ve had that 20 years) it was the IT band and the quads that were the cause of the tracking issue on the outside of the knee. I’ve had that problem before (2011) and have been doing the prescribed stretches and exercises with religious devotion. There was been a definite improvement.
Anyway on we go. Less than a week to go. Very excited and nervous at the same time. I hoped not to have to do much driving this week coming but will have a few trips to attend to. Probably no harm to keep some what busy.

Mileage for the week – 41 miles. Monday 10 miles @8.06 pace, Wednesday 10 miles @ 7.36 pace, Friday 10 miles @ 8.04, Sunday 11 miles @8.34

1 comment:

  1. You'll done just fine in Connemara man, you're well able for it. Just take it easy coming out of Leenane.

    First 13miles is nice and flat (relatively) so plenty of time to get into things,

    ReplyDelete