Monday 16 March 2015

Part 1 of 2

Week beginning 16th March,
A very good running week. 15 miles @ 8.38 pace Monday, 10 Miles Tuesday with 6 miles  @ 7 minute pace, 10 miles Wednesday @ 7.17 pace, 10 miles @ 8.15 pace Thursday, 4 miles Saturday @ 8.20 pace and 26.2 mile marathon in Tralee in 3.42.30.

This morning consisted of a 15 mile @ 8.32 pace. I was pretty chuffed to get the back to back long runs in as it marks a second time in three weeks I managed to cover the ultra distance over two days. Hopefully I will get to do it again next weekend. After that I will begin my taper.
The 15 mile run last week was a real dog of a run. It was lashing from the very start when I headed out the door early in the morning and it got progressively wetter and windier as it went on. The run was a wobbly one and as I lapped past my house a second time I even contemplated quitting after a hour but in the tru tradition of “relentless forward progress” I managed to get through the whole exercise. The Tuesday tempo run wasn’t too hot either as the legs were paying the price for ignoringspeed workouts for a few weeks. At mile 4 of the tempo I was averaging 7.05 pace but the speed reasserted itself for the last two miles  (6.57 and 6.40) allowing me to come in on 41.57 minutes. It wasn’t as fast a tempo as 3 weeks ago (5 miles @ 6.52 pace) but I was glad to have it done.
It must have had a sharpening effect as I ran 10 miles @ 7.17 pace the next day. I felt I could have continued for another 3 miles it felt that good. By Thursday the appetite for running was back and I allowed myself a nice relaxed 10 mile as a reward for the harder efforts earlier in the week.

Despite all the good midweek training it’s the work done on the long runs that really counts. Running a marathon in Tralee on the Sunday and a 15 mile run the next morning was always going to see if I hadwhat it takes. You will have to wait for that report tomorrow….

No comments:

Post a Comment