Sunday 22 March 2015

Les Miserables

Week ending 22nd March
This week was to mark the last full week of training before the taper begins. I have to admit I was disappointed with how the week went as I expected to hit around 70 miles. In the end I only managed 47 miles getting out only 3 days this week, rather than the usual 5/6 days a week. I like to finish with a strong week as it confirms I am on the right track.
As mentioned last time out I ran a back to back long run of 26.2 miles and 15 miles taking a rest day on Paddy’s day. I expected to run another 10 miles on the Wednesday but the energy just wasn’t there. Part of the problem stemmed from the fact that I didn’t run during my normal window at lunchtime leaving it instead until the evening at 6pm. I had a bad few nights sleep and a busy day in work and the will had completely evaporated. It does happen occasionally but this time I was well and truly wrecked.
On Thursday morning though I made amends running 12 miles at a comfortable 8.03 pace and all appeared to be on track. By Thursday night I started to feel totally maxed out again and hit the stratcher very early. Again I slept poorly and had real problems finding the energy to lift myself out of the bed. I feared the onset of flu and the resting heart rate was above 55 beats, lately it has been around 47 beats, so the elevation was surprising. I didn’t feel at all comfortable until the afternoon but really didn’t feel great. I postponed plans to attend the school musical that night , appropriately “Les Miserables” and  drove home.
The schedule called for a back to back effort of a combined 40 miles and I had originally planned to run 23 miles on Saturday and 17 miles on Sunday (including 10 miles of the Mallow 10 which I had entered before Christmas). I joined the Mallow gang for a long run on the Saturday. We ran 2 X 10 miles of wider Mallow area. The first loop went fine but the energy started to drop again after mile 17 and by mile 18 the knee started to get sore. I walked for a few minutes letting Darragh, Clive and Peadar run off ahead and I finished up after 20 miles. The pace was modest enough – 8.39 pace but the effort felt tougher than the marathon last week or any training run I completed since January. The rest of the day I headed up to Mayfield doing some household chores for my Mum.
The knee didn’t feel any better that evening and I had decided to shelve my plans to run the Mallow 10.
The Mallow 10 is the biggest day in the club calendar and I have to admit I wasn’t actively involved in the preparations as I was in previous years. This was mostly down to training for the ultra and work commitments in the evening. To be fair the organizing committee (Denis, Paudie, Sharon, Ger, John, Aidan, George and so on) do a cracking job and they had plenty of foot soldiers to help out. My buddy Aidan McGee was down from Offaly so I was playing host for the day. I did manage to get down for the start and did some stewarding at the finish line so I guess that was something. All went well with the race.
I have nothing left to do now but to simply hope the knee sorts itself out and that the energy returns. As I say a disappointing weeks running.
Mileage for the week – 47 miles

Monday 15 miles, Thursday 12 miles, Saturday 20 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment