Saturday 27 December 2014

Ultra Training Awaits...

27th December 2014

The running year wasn’t the worst though I didn’t set any PB’s in the marathons I ran (Connemara 3.37 and Amsterdam 3.30.06) or in any of the 4 half marathons I ran. I ran a lot of second fastest times in the above races and also in 5 mile races. My only notable PB was in the Ballycotton 10 (1.09.43). Given though that the title of the blog alludes to running a sub 3.30 , it’s now over 2 years since I ran that time, the marathon PB mission has stalled . I was also disappointed to miss out on the Sixmilebridge marathon. This and my times in the 5 mile Ballycotton series may point to the fact that I am probably getting slower. This is hard to accept as is the fact that runners of my age who I once ran faster than are now leaving me for dead in races. That however is up to me to remedy but not quite yet…

I have finally stopped the dithering and the procrastinating and entered a race I have wanted to do for years – Connemara 39.3 mile ultra. I had hoped to enter it a number of times in the past but work commitments and other running priorities had meant I kept putting it off. This time it will be different. I have a late start on Mondays so it means I don’t have to stretch the back to back long runs over the Saturday and Sunday. I hope to manage it on the Sunday (with Mallow AC) and on Monday mornings. These will be the cornerstone of my training. Tuesday will be a rest day or a easy recovery run. Wednesday will be a mid week hill run up in Mayfield. Thursday a speed session with Mallow AC. Friday a rest day. Saturday a medium run. That said nothing is set in stone either. I might find that more rest and less running might suit me better or that speedwork is detrimental to my training. I have currently a number of books on the subject of ultra running. Proper  training books mind you and none of that Dean Karnazes  ego tripping stuff either  I also hope to run another marathon in October. These are my goal races.

I have also entered 3 ten mile races – Dungarvan , Ballycotton and Mallow but as to weather they will be races, extended long runs or recovery runs that remains be seen. I can’t  really compromise on the back to back long runs as they are fundamental to ultra training.
In terms of setting myself a goal for the ultra the answer is that I won’t be setting one. I will be happy to get the training done and get to the start line as fit as I can be. After that the main objective will be to finish as comfortably as possible and let the time take care of itself – just like my first marathon in 2010. 

Week 1 of training has gone well. 16 weeks to go.
Mileage for the week 45 miles. (Monday 4 miles recovery, Tuesday 6 miles with 5 X ½ mile repeats  @ 6.22 pace, Wednesday 8.75 miles at 8.12 pace, Thursday 6 miles at 9.15 pace, Friday 13.36 miles at 8.42 pace and Saturday 7.5 miles at 8.06 pace)


1 comment:

  1. a year with even 1 pb is a good one in my book and it sounds like you've got the bones of a plan for 2015 worked out. I look forward to following the detail. Good luck

    ReplyDelete