Sunday 21 December 2014

Newmarket 5k 2014

Week ending 21st December
As I write this I am finishing off a box of “Celebration “ sweets and watching a TV programme where Ken Whitelaw and Gerry Duffy are talking about their 32 marathon epic in 2010. To be honest I know where I rather be at this moment.
I ran my first proper race since Amsterdam- a 5k in Newmarket. I ran this 2 years ago in a time of 20.48. This time I hoped to get close to a sub 20 but given the fact I had only got back to speed training 2 weeks ago and I am not a fast runner I was probably being optimistic. Anyway there was a good turnout from the local clubs and it being near Christmas there was good craic and chat. I ran the first mile in 6.24 and I was feeling very strong but by half way I was feeling the pressure. The second mile passed in 6.40 but after that I was getting passed by a fair few runners and must have lost 12-14 places for the last mile. Tony and Paudie were having a fair old battle up ahead both pushing each other on. I on the other hand was glad to turn into the home bend and finish in a repeat time of 20.48!!!!
I was happy to have finished reasonably well but a bit disappointed not to PB, but then again 5k Pb’s aren’t achieved by having attended 4 speed sessions in 3 weeks.
In terms of the bigger picture I am running on average 32 miles a week, 5 days a week. The longest long run was last Friday a mere 11 miles. That is sufficient for the moment. I only feel I am recovering from the different niggles and aches I was undergoing in my failed attempt to run the Sixmilebridge marathon. The hip problem and the issue with the calves seems to be a lot better. In terms of upcoming races the immediate priority is the Dungarvan 10 on the 2nd February. Ideally I would love a sub 70 but a improvement on last years time of 1.12.53 would be ok too. Dungarvan has a nasty habit of biting back on me so lets just concentrate on getting some work done.
In terms of marathons I have also ruled out the Manchester marathon on the 19th April on simple economic grounds. Unfortunately there aren’t any fast marathon courses in April in Ireland but plenty in the continent but again my funds are limited so no chance of Vienna, Rotherdam or Paris. Limerick is on in May so that might be a possibility but is a bit late in the year for my liking. Perhaps Connemara again or maybe just concentrate on shorter distances until the summer.


Anyway that will be it for a while so happy Xmas and New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment