Monday 18 August 2014

The return of the Clonmel half marathon


Week ending 17th August

This is my first post since returning from my break in Berlin/Lubeck/Copenhagen. We had a great time doing all the usual touristy stuff. As always it’s tricky to balance running in with enjoying your holidays but having run high mileage in the month of June I was ok about cutting it back a bit. We went a 10 day break and the first 9 days consisted of a easy 26 mile week – 8 miles, 5 miles, 3 miles and 10.4 miles.The diet could have been better but I didn’t over do it on the beer too much. Nevertheless I have probably thrown back on a few pounds but no harm. Jogging through the Brandenburg gates a la the Berlin marathon was good fun. Copenhagen was nice too- very flat. You could see why the marathon there is so highly rated, unfortunately the cost of eating/drinking and living there is a bit of a turn off.

In the last week I ran 7 miles on Monday. I was busy getting back to Charleville on Tuesday before taking another day off on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday consisted of good 8 mile runs at a pace of 7.55 and 7.38 each day. The only snag was the high HR 155 -157.

The HR readings came home to roost on the Friday walking smack bang into a headcold on the Friday night. Saturday I was completely stuffed sounding like a Dalek. Running was out of the question on the Saturday – yet another missed workout. Running the Clonmel half marathon on Sunday was going to be a tricky business.

I had a terrible nights sleep on the Saturday night/ Sunday night. You know the usual stuff – sneezing, sweats, blocked nose. Anyway I was a bit bothered about running a half marathon under such circumstances but was it was a long run there was little point in bailing out. The resting HR was well into the 60’s, never a good sign as it should have been 48 to 50 beats.

I ran this 2 years ago and had a tough time out there then as well. This time I planned to run 4-5 mile at a slow pace for the warm up and then complete the course at around marathon pace, somewhere between  7.50 to 8 minute pace. Once I got up to Clonmel I felt a lot better and it was great to chat to my old buddy Aidan. The warm up went fine – 4.5 miles at 9.03 pace, Hr 144. So far so good. I was feeling positive when the race started. I was determined not to go any faster than I needed to so i kept a bit behind the 1.45 pacers. It was after all a marathon pace long run, not a all out race. Having got the hilly 3 miles out of the way I settled into a comfortable rhythm hitting each mile in around 7.50-7.55 pace. I was feeling fine but the HR was in the 160-165 range, obviously way too high. This from a training point of view was in the red zone but as I wasn’t feeling under too much pressure I decided to press on. By mile 10 I was on my feet 1hr18mins20secs but the effort was beginning to tell. Whether it was the cold or rubbery legs as a result of my holidays I don’t know but every step was becoming a real effort. The hill between 10 and 11.2 miles was enough to finish me and at mile 10.5 the pacers overtook me. In many ways it was all very similar to 2 years ago. I walked ran up to mile 11 before jog walking to mile 12. Time was slipping away and the HR remained stubborningly high – peaking at 170 at one stage before I able to resume my slow shuffle to the last mile. I wasn’t too upset to be honest but glad to cross the line in 1hr48mins09seconds. The splits for the last 3 miles were 8.40, 10.20 and 9.20. This was 3 minutes slower than two years ago and it wasn’t a very good run. it was as a long run very useful -4.5 miles at 9 minute pace,10 miles at 7.50 pace, 3.1 miles at a poor pace. Average Hr was crazy 164. Aidan flew in at 1hr35mins. The day wasn't helped by the Cork hurlers getting a pasting off Tipp either.

I bounced back from this kind of thing two years so iI don’t see why  I can’t this time either. Running however will be of a easier pace for the duration of the week or until my system sorts itself out. Nevertheless my races haven’t  gone the way  I would have liked either since April.  With only 6 weeks of real training left until the taper for the marathon begins I will have a realistic idea of where I stand by then. Daniels and McMillian have me down for 3hrs50minutes.

Mileage for week ending 10th August 26 miles

Mileage for week ending 17th August 41 miles (7 miles, 8miles,8 miles, 17.5 miles)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment