Sunday 3 November 2013

Give out but don't give up.....(especially if you are a Mormon)


3rd November

Just spent most of my Sunday afternoon tracking the fortunes of Mallow club runners and my cousin who took part in the New York marathon. Well done to all.

Running wise was a quiet one for me. Bank Holiday Monday  I ran 6 miles with 5 X 1 minute sprints in the middle. This was my first attempt in a small way at speedwork since last July. Sprints went fine and the loosening of the legs help me run the last mile in a seemingly effortless pace of 7.40. Did 10k up in Mayfield the next day in my more traditional Cork city route. As any readers will know by now this involves a heavy climb for the last 3 miles from Leitrim street to Montenotte and again up to Iona Green before a sudden drop down to the local church before another steep pull up Boherboy road. Run went very well, running it in 8.25 pace.

Headed off to London for the rest of the week for a bit of R and R doing the touristy thing with my wife, Aoiffe. Good fun had by all including taking in the excellent “Book of Mormon” musical and a comedy gig in the Hammersmith Appollo. The Primal Scream gig in the Opera House in Cork on Monday night was a good start as was bumping into the band in the airport the next day. The guitarist seemed like a decent guy though I didn’t talk to Bobby Gillespie.Still though I was spending so much looking over at the man himself the wife was beginning to worry for me.

I had planned to do a couple of 4 mile runs over in London but the busy itinerary and the ominous stuffed nose forced me to rethink my plans. This wasn’t a problem as I had reckoned a cutback week was probably called for. Nevertheless when I went back running in Charleville on the Sunday the legs were feeling very sluggish. Rather than force the pace i was happy to jog at a easy 8.55 pace for 8.41 miles staying on my feet for 75 minutes. I have to say I did find the last mile quite difficult. Next week I hope to get a bit more speedwork up on my legs, ideally running at least one speed session a week between now and the new year.This will be done in the company of the Mallow runners.

Mileage for week 20.61miles

 

No comments:

Post a Comment