Sunday 17 November 2013

Another solid week


Week starting 11th November

As part of my Movember bit, i decided to repeat the experiment of last year and throw a “ronnie”. Growth has been slow enough. At this stage last year I had sprouted a lovely tache that made me look like some 1970’s Irish- American gangster from South Boston. Anyway back to the running.

Monday I ventured out for a run in Mayfield, Cork for my favoured route around the northside. I had a few things on in Cork that evening so I took advantage of the chance to jog a deliberately slow 6.3 mile jog at a pace of 8.44. Tuesday I was back in Charleville for another 2.5 walk with my wife and on Wednesday ran another slowish 6.4 mile run at 8.54 pace. No doubt about it I was feeling tired and happy to finish the run. Thursday was another speed session with the Mallow lads in the GAA complex at Mourneabbey. It’s a shame Mallow AC considering their large membership and excellent enthusiasm of their organisers and members don’t have a more permanent base like a training field and clubhouse. It’s just too expensive to even get started hence the use of the GAA facilities. Running falls very low in the list of government priorities.

Anyway the training session went well enough for me but I was struggling at the middle end and dead on my feet at the end. It was a straightforward enough session – 2 mile warm up with 20 minutes of sprints and jogs and 2 mile cooldown but I found it hard. Better start getting used to it- next week promises to be a tough one for me in terms of workout.I'm not expecting overnight miracles though I am beginning to formulate a plan as to how I want the next 12 months to go.

Day off Friday with Saturday spent gardening. Sunday was a 10 mile slow run with the lads and ladies of Mallow up around hills, road and trails. A tough route but a enjoyable run. I was comfortable enough apart from the last half mile but that may have been a case of white line fever more than anything else.Ran 10.12 miles in around 1hr30mins12seconds. Delighted to get another 10 mile run up on my legs, happy again to get around comfortably. I will enjoy it while it lasts as things promise to get tougher in the new year.Last couple of miles were run in under 8.30 pace so all good.

I haven’t wore the HR strap in a while and at the moment happy enough not to do so. Next week promises a similar mileage week but with some faster workouts.One of these will be a tempo run so here’s hoping....

Monday 6.3 mile, Tuesday 2.5 mile walk, Wednesday 6.4 mile , Thursday 5 mile, Sunday 10.11 miles. Total mileage 27.8 miles plus 2.5 mile walk

No comments:

Post a Comment